The International Centre for Reproductive Health (ICRH) is an international NGO involved in clinical research and programme implementation in the field of reproductive health in Mombasa.
ICRH currently invites applications for the following position:
Title of Position: Data Analyst
Reporting to: M&E Manager
Duration: One Year Contract
Job Summary: The statistician is responsible for all statistical tasks of assigned projects or programs. Under general direction from the M&E Manager, independently participates in planning, designing, and implementation of research projects; analyses, interprets statistical data and advices the ICRHK personnel on statistical interpretation and implications of the results for program planning and decision making.
The incumbent serves as an expert of advanced methods of statistical analysis, advanced programming consultation, planning and conducting analyses of complex study design.
Key Responsibilities and % of time
Objective 1: Dataflow, statistical design and analysis (60%)
- Provides advice/technical support to ICRHK technical staff and ICRHK Implementing Partner staff (i.e. physicians, epidemiologists, behavioral scientist and health service researchers) in regard to the statistical aspects of research and program evaluation such as study design, sample size determination, power analysis, data management, analysis of data, presentation of statistical information and other related issues.
- Analyze large scale data sets such as National Censuses and Demographic and Health Surveys
- Interprets and analyzes data for ICRHK technical staff and assists them in the interpretation of the statistical implications of the data for public health policy and program activities; assists in defining data to gather for surveillance, program evaluation and research; gathers and reviews current statistical literature; assists in defining population of interest and sample sizes for specific groups for surveillance, program evaluation and research activities, and develops statistical summary reports based on those activities.
- Assist in selection of statistical methods for data analysis, in authoring and reviewing the corresponding sections of the surveillance, program evaluation and research protocols and methods sections of reports, abstracts and manuscripts, and in conducting the analysis once datasets are created.
- Provide statistical technical assistance to data management staff required to provide cleaned and verified datasets for analysis, including efficient scoring, processing and extraction of datasets.
- Maintain learning of new analysis techniques and show understanding of the rationale for the methods selected.
- Carry out any other task that would reasonably be expected of a statistician to enhance the proper and efficient functioning of the statistics and data management group in relation to ICRHK, as required by supervisor or Project lead. This may include responding to statistical queries from other functional areas.
Objective 2: Communicating results (15%)
- Collaborate with team members to write protocols, reports, abstracts and manuscripts and to communicate statistical results in meetings and conferences.
- Show a high level of attention to detail during the compilation of large amounts of statistical output to ensure accurate presentation of and reporting of results.
- Communicate statistical information to non-statisticians both in written and spoken form.
- Prepare manuscripts related to statistical methods.
Objective 3: Training and capacity building (15%)
- Provide statistical education and training to ICRHK technical staff.
- Guide/supervise junior statisticians in all statistical matters, including statistical methods, sample size planning, data entry, and development of data analysis plans, data analysis, presentation of the results and review of protocols, reports and manuscripts.
- Provide statistical expertise for seminars and strategy discussions.
Objective 4: General (10%)
- Apply and promote statistical work based on ‘best practices’ and evidence-based principles
- Ensure that data including confidential records in areas of responsibility are maintained appropriately
- Actively purse and participate in self development activities in consultation with the supervisor e.g. attending advanced training courses and seminars.
- Work effectively as a member of the team
- An MSC in Applied Statistics or Bio-statistics or a quantitative social science discipline (e.g. Demography, Economics).
- Proven high level proficiency in statistical analysis and management of large datasets (e.g. Demographic Health Surveys and censuses) using software’s like Stata, SAS, and SPSS.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant hands-on experience in a similar position.
- Excellent writing and communication skills in English.
- Evidence of scientific publications and/ or scientific conference presentations is desirable.
How to Apply
Applicants must fill a bio data form accessible on our website HERE
Application letter stating salary expectation and an up-to-date CV with names and addresses of three referees and telephone contacts should be submitted electronically to: Jobs@icrhk.org with subject: “Data Analyst”
The deadline for applications is 12th February 2016, 5pm
ICRHK is committed to equal opportunities and welcomes applications from appropriately qualified people from all sections of the community.