Body Corporate established under Section 55 of the Universities Act No.
42 of 2012 to, among other functions, Coordinate the Placement of
Government Sponsored Students to Universities and Colleges.
The Placement Service invites applications for the following position:
Information Communications Technology Officer – Developer & User Support
Ref. Code KUCCPS 016/16
Reporting to the Manager, ICT – MIS, the officer is responsible for supporting the Placement Service’s application environment by creating and modifying in-house applications as well as modifying open source solutions.
Also, provide technical support on networks and ensure the continuous provision of ICT services at all times
- Responding promptly and professionally to bug reports. Review and repair legacy code;
- Expected to conduct system analysis and development, with limited support from professional staff, to keep our systems current with changing technologies;
- Responsible for analysis of current programs including performance, diagnosis and troubleshooting of problem programs, and designing solutions to problematic programming;
- Responsible for development of new programs, analyzes current programs and processes, and making recommendations which yield a more cost effective product;
- Document code consistently throughout the development process by listing a description of the program, special instructions, and any changes made in database tables on procedural;
- Design, install, operate and maintain information systems technology including local and wide area networks and associated peripheral devices;
- Operate and coordinate telecommunications systems including automated networks and the full spectrum of data links and circuits and diagnose equipment failures and replace faulty parts and telephony equipment;
- Assess users’ hardware and software requirements, prepare costings, and participate in the selection of all general hardware;
- Responsible for distribution of new equipment and for ensuring the return of faulty goods to suppliers for repair / replacement;
- To support the server infrastructure and provide preventative maintenance on the server infrastructure;
- Create new network user accounts, alter user system details and remove past user accounts and ensure all servers are backed up correctly and to carry out regular test restores;
- Have served for a minimum of two (2) years in the grade of ICT Officer or in a comparable position in public or private sector;
- A degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience;
- Technical work experience in PHP, MySQL and related Open Source Technologies additional Oracle certificate is preferable;
- Excellent customer support and communication skills
- Expert knowledge of computer languages, computer logic and flow-charting and computer program design methods and techniques;
- Expert knowledge of maintaining and debugging live software system and of writing and editing program documentation; Experience of supporting a 20+ server environment
- Experience of installing and supporting Windows 200x
- Good understanding of: Networking concepts, firewall concepts, network based storage solutions, and server hardware
- Have met the requirements of Chapter Six (6) of the Constitution of Kenya on leadership and accountability. Applicants should have clearance certificates from the following bodies:
- Kenya Revenue Authority;
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission;
- Higher Educations Loans Board;
- A Licensed Credit Reference Bureau;
- Director of Criminal Investigation
applicants should post or hand deliver their applications in sealed
envelopes clearly marked with the position applied for and reference
The Chief Executive Officer
Kenya Universities and Colleges Central Placement Service
ACK Garden House, 3rd Floor, 1st Ngong Avenue, Community
P. O. Box 105166-0101,
Or e-mail to email@example.com with the reference code and the position applied for as the subject line.
The Placement Service is an equal opportunity employer.
People with disabilities, women and people from marginalised regions are encouraged to apply.
The deadline for receipt of the applications is March 4, 2016 at 5.00 pm.