ILRI works with partners worldwide to enhance the roles that livestock play in food security and poverty alleviation, principally in Africa and Asia.
The Position: This is an international Computing Systems Analyst position whose purpose is to strategically lead research computing at ILRI, reporting to the Head of the Research Methods Group (RMG) and the Program Leader for Animal Biosciences.
- Design and lead implementation of the strategy for research computing infrastructure, applications and services, keeping up-to-date with changes and advances relevant to ILRI’s research activities.
- Take the lead in maintaining and further development of secure and robust systems to support research data storage, processing, display and distribution; in liaison with ILRI’s ICT team.
- Communicate with researchers concerning updates, opportunities, requirements and changes made to the research-computing systems; in liaison with ILRI’s ICT team.
- Develop more effective ways of using and configuring applications and make them available for use across the ILRI campuses; in liaison with ILRI’s ICT team.
- Maintain and develop robust systems for backup of user and application data on the research-computing platform.
- Provide infrastructure and systems support to spatial and non-spatial data management systems at ILRI.
- Manage the installation, configuration and maintenance of scientific applications on the research-computing platform.
- Mentor and assist Bioscience Directorate & Biosciences East and Central Africa (BecA-ILRI) team members with hardware and software for sequencing data capture, processing, storage and analysis.
- Manage the “Research Computing – Systems” team within RMG.
- An MSc in Computer Science or Computer Information Systems or a BSc with comparable experience.
- At least 5 years relevant experience managing *nix systems.
- Significant experience in management of high-performance computing cluster environments, including design and development of systems.
- Significant experience in a scientific-computing environment, preferably bioinformatics – applied research preferable.
- Experience in the provisioning and management of virtual machines.
- Experience with scripting for automation, batch processing, etc.
- Knowledge of relational databases and database-driven applications.
- Experience working in an international research environment.
Position level: The position level is 4A.
Duration: 3 years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and continued funding.
Benefits: ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes 15% Pension, Medical insurance, Life insurance and allowances for: Education, Housing, Relocation, Home leave, Annual holiday entitlement of 30 days + public holidays.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae with full details of current remuneration: a list of publications and names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience should be included in the curriculum vitae.
All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal by clicking HERE. Screening of applications will start on 19 February 2016, until the position is filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
To find out more about ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer.