Position: Field Officer – General Equilibrium Effects of Cash Transfers in Kenya (Equilibrium Effects)
Deadline to Apply: 1st March, 2016
Deadline to Apply: 1st March, 2016
Start Date: 14th March, 2016
Eligibility: Position open to Kenyan Nationals only
About Innovations for Poverty Action: is a non-profit organization dedicated to discovering and promoting effective solutions to global poverty problems.
In close partnership with decision makers — the policymakers, practitioners, investors, and donors working with the poor around the world — IPA designs and evaluates potential solutions to poverty problems using randomized evaluations, the most rigorous evaluation method available.
We also mobilize and support these decision makers to use these solutions to build better programs and policies at scale.
About the Project: The primary research objective is to evaluate a broad range of effects that cash transfers to households may have in Siaya, Kenya.
Results of this study will be used to inform the design and potential of cash transfers for poverty alleviation.
The goal of this study is to understand if cash transfers have broader effects on local economies, whether these effects are positive or negative for nearby households, and the channels through which these effects operate.
The Field Officer under the general supervision of the Research Associate and within the limits of Innovations for Poverty Action – Kenya policies and procedures, coordinates the facilitation of field activities of the project and functions within IPAK.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Accurate & complete survey administration
- Ensure data integrity is maintained at all times and minimize errors in data collection.
- Punctuality: both to determined daily schedule & appointments with respondents
- Maintain team cohesion and respect among team members
- Accurate daily reporting and tracking for oneself and within assigned team
- Demonstrate integrity and understanding during interaction with community members and partner organization staff
- On non-field days, accurately perform office duties for instance translation and data entry.
- Maintaining security and quality of project assets and materials.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Kiswahili
- Experience with data collection through market surveys, household surveys, enterprise surveys
- Ability to recognize when questions are difficult or unclear to subjects
- Willingness to work in the rural areas of Siaya county and interacting with the community
- Excellent note taking ability during interviews
- Comfortable with interviewing individuals within their homes, markets and over the phone
- Basic computer knowledge and skills (mandatory)
- Ability to comfortably work with groups and within groups
- Ability to interview the local administration (Assistant Chiefs and Village elders) and school heads
- Bachelors’ degree or college diploma in social sciences or any other related field
- Past experience in data collection
- Experience in data collection using Survey CTO or Open Data Kit (ODK)
- On non-field days: conscientious performance of office work (error checking, data entry, photocopying, organizing data, etc.)
How to Apply:
To apply, please send by email a cover letter and detailed CV, 3 references, daytime phone number(s), and email address.
Your CV should include your scores or grades and other measures of academic achievement, and details about any relevant work experience.
Applications must be submitted by ONLY email to firstname.lastname@example.org, hard copies will not be accepted.
Please ensure that the subject line reads: “Field Officer” REF NO. Ge Effects-2016-02-01.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by email for an interview.
Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a ROLLING BASIS.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Field Officer. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com.