Position: Research Associate – Strengthening People-centered Accessibility, Respect, and Quality of delivery and Family Planning services (SPARQ) project
Deadline to Apply: 3rd March 2016
Deadline to Apply: 3rd March 2016
Start Date: As soon as possible
Eligibility: Position open to Kenyan Locals Only
About Innovations for Poverty Action: Innovations for Poverty Action is a non – profit organization dedicated to discovering and promoting effective solutions to global poverty problems.
In close partnership with decision makers — the policymakers, practitioners, investors, and donors working with the poor around the world — IPA designs and evaluates potential solutions to poverty problems using randomized evaluations, the most rigorous evaluation method available.
We also mobilize and support these decision makers to use these solutions to build better programs and policies at scale.
About the Position: IPA-Kenya seeks a Research Associate for the evaluation of the Strengthening People-Centered Access, Respect, and Quality (SPARQ) project for quality improvement in maternal and reproductive health in Kenya.
This project in collaboration with the partner organization will develop measurement tools for people-centered delivery and family planning care and use these tools to evaluate several rounds of quality improvement cycles at selected health facilities.
The position offers an opportunity to gain first-hand field management experience in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research, particularly in the areas of maternal and reproductive health.
The Principal Investigators for this project are based at the University of California, San Francisco.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate the development and piloting of survey instruments and qualitative interview guides
- Hiring, training, and managing survey and qualitative field teams
- Ensure adherence to data quality protocols, including auditing enumerators, monitoring data collection, conducting data quality audits, and ensuring data security
- Checking and cleaning data, and assisting in preliminary analysis
- Coordinating with the local partner running the quality improvement program being evaluated
- Assist in the writing of project reports and policy memos
- Support outreach to relevant policymakers in Kenya
- Ensure adherence to project timelines and budgets
- Ensure that all necessary human subjects approvals are secured and maintained
- Maintain compliance with all IPA policies and procedures
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in economics, social sciences, public health, public policy, or related fields.
- Candidates with a Bachelor’s degree and significant fieldwork experience will also be considered.
- Training in development economics a plus
- Prior work experience conducting field research in developing countries required
- Excellent management and organizational skills along with strong quantitative skills
- Knowledge of Stata (strongly preferred), SAS, or other data analysis software
- Demonstrated ability to manage enumerator teams and survey operations a plus
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and team player
- Demonstrated ability to manage relationships with partner organizations and policy makers
- Fluency in English with strong communication skills required
- Kenyan nationals strongly preferred
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter and detailed CV, 3 references, daytime phone number(s), and email address.
Your CV should include your scores or grades and other measures of academic achievement, and details about any relevant work experience.
Applications must be submitted ONLY by email to email@example.com , please ensure that the subject line reads: “Research Associate”.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by email for an interview.
Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a ROLLING BASIS.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Research Associate. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant.
Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.