regulate, coordinate and oversee maritime affairs guided by the Kenya
Maritime Act, No. 5 of 2006 and the Merchant Shipping Act 2009.
The Authority wishes to invite suitable candidates to fill the following vacant position:
Quality Assurance and Monitoring Officer (STCW)
- Ensure continuous reporting and communication to the IMO in line with the STCW Regulation I/7 is effected in a timely manner.
- Monitor processes and procedures of the certification system and ensure that all internal processes comply with the quality standards system.
- Ensure compliance with the required quality standards in readiness for the IMO Audits. Kenya is scheduled for audit in 2016.
- Facilitate adequate preparation for independent evaluation as required under Section A-I/8 (3) of the STCW Convention 78 as amended.
- Ensure that education and training objectives and standards of competence to be achieved are clearly defined.
- Ensure that levels of knowledge and understanding and skills appropriate to the examinations and assessment required under the STCW Convention are identified as required by the STCW, 1978 as amended.
- Monitor and evaluate examinations and assessment systems in MET institutions and assessment center (s).
- Ensure that standards of medical fitness for seafarers as required by STCW regulation I/9 and MLC, 2006 are adhered to.
- Establish the quality policies and procedures required.
- Degree / Masters in Maritime Education and Training
- Certificate in maritime related field
- Affiliation to maritime professional association
- Proficiency in Maritime Conventions particularly STCW 1978 Convention, as amended,
- 5 years’ experience in maritime industry with at least 2 years in STCW related duties
- Excellent interpersonal, management and communication skills;
- Excellent organizational skills
- Computer literacy and familiarity with standard office computer applications
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
who meet the specified requirements should send their application
letters with their detailed CVs, copies of academic and professional
certificates and other testimonials together with day-time telephone
contact, indicating the post applied for in the application letter and
on the envelop to:
The Director General
Kenya Maritime Authority
P.O. Box 95076 – 80104,
Or drop the application at the Kenya Maritime Authority, White House, 2nd Floor, Moi Avenue, near Dock yard, Mombasa.
Closing date for applications is 29th February 2016.
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Qualified persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.