Kituo Cha Sheria (KITUO) is a Non Governmental Organization (NGO) whose mission is to empower the poor and marginalized people to effectively access justice and realize their human and people’s rights.
This is done through advocacy, networking, lobbying, legal aid and education, legal representation and research.
KITUO seeks to recruit a qualified, energetic, dynamic, result oriented and capable person to fill the Program / Legal Officer position in the Legal Aid and Education Program.
He/She will be responsible to the Coordinator Legal Aid and Education, and will primarily be responsible for litigation and programme work.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide strategic direction to other lawyers, interns and officers
- Provide legal advice, and court representation to KITUO clients
- Conduct research that enables KITUO to built evidence base that informs litigation strategies.
- Legal awareness and education to clients and advocates in matters legal and human rights, housing, land, labour and succession.
- Provide financial coordination and ensure responsible and accountable use of donor funds on programme work.
- Responsible for counselling clients and sensitising communities on building a factual basis for their cases.
- Helping communities to develop capacity to self advocate and lobby for legal protection
- Programme work and report writing.
- Coach, mentor and nurture skill and potential of upcoming lawyers.
- Bachelor’s degree in Law or equivalent qualification.
- Must be an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya with a current practising certificate
- At least 3 years professional working experience in civil and criminal litigation, with a reputable human rights organization or law firm.
- At least 1 year minimum experience in public interest litigation.
- Excellent written and verbal skills in English and Kiswahili are mandatory
- Good working knowledge of modern information, communication and technology systems
- Knowledge in advocacy and negotiation
Applications indicating the job reference number above, including a detailed curriculum vitae with at least three referees and copies of relevant testimonials, day telephone number, email address and an indication of present and expected remuneration should be addressed to;
The Executive Director
Kituo Cha Sheria
(Centre for Legal Empowerment)
P. O. Box 7483 – 00300
The application must reach us on or before 24th February 2016.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.