M-KOPA is seeking:
Position Title: Executive Assistant to the Chief Executive Officer
Location: Nairobi HQ
Position Start: ASAP
Reporting to: Chief Executive Officer
Overall Purpose: The person will be responsible for providing administrative assistance to the Chief Executive Officer.
About M-KOPA Solar: M-KOPA Solar, headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, is the global leader of “pay-as-you-go” energy for off-grid customers.
Since its commercial launch in October 2012, M-KOPA has connected more than 250,000 homes in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda to solar power, and is now adding over 500 new homes each day.
The success of M-KOPA (M= mobile, KOPA= to borrow) stems from making solar products affordable to low-income households on a pay-per-use installment plan.
Customers acquire solar systems for a small deposit and then purchase daily usage “credits” for US $0.45, or less than the price of traditional kerosene lighting. After one year of payments customers own their solar systems outright and can upgrade to more power.
All revenues are collected in real-time via mobile money systems (such as M-PESA in Kenya) and embedded GSM sensors in each solar system allow M-KOPA to monitor real time performance and regulate usage based upon payments.
This connected design means that M-KOPA is processing vast amounts of data (i.e. over 10,000 mobile payments per day) via the company’s proprietary cloud platform, M-KOPAnet.
As of May 2015 M-KOPA employs over 650 full time staff across East Africa and sells through a network of 1,000 direct sales agents. It has also commenced licensing its technology to partners in other markets.
M-KOPA has been recognized for its pioneering business mode and scale, notably winning the 2015 Zayed Future Energy Prize, being selected as the top New Energy Pioneer at the 2014 Bloomberg New Energy Finance awards and earning the 2013 FT/IFC Excellence in Sustainable Finance Award.
- Maintains CEO’s appointment schedule by planning and scheduling meetings, conferences, teleconferences, and to a small extent travel. This means scheduling meetings for both internal and external parties as well as checking with the CEO on his availability.
- Manage his diary, calendar and electronic files. Make sure everything important is captured in an organized way.
- Make records of action points from meetings as highlighted by the CEO and in some instances, take point on making the following up on action points highlighted with the relevant parties. It is also essential to ensure no action points are forgotten.
- Arrange travel and accommodation requirements for Board members as well as ensuring that necessary provisions are made for them on campus. This spans from knowing their itinerary (when they are leaving, what flight, time of departure, arrival) as well as specific requirements in terms of accommodation and transportation while here.
- Take phone calls and manage correspondence on the CEO’s behalf where appropriate.
- You are a highly proficient communicator in both written and verbal communications.
- You have good listening skills so as to follow directives appropriately and to also ensure any informational that needs to be relayed to others is done correctly.
- You are able to interface with Chief, Director and Head of Department Level Management confidently and professionally.
- Your organization skills should be high, able to plan and prioritize tasks in order of importance and execute them appropriately.
- You should be detail oriented with a proactive attitude that focuses on creating ideas and plans for correcting issues or handling daily tasks.
- You should be Action-Oriented i.e. agile and resilient but also combine this with being purposeful and aware – always directing action from a clear sense of purpose and an accurate assessment of what is happening in the environment.
- Flexible in terms of your work schedule.
- You understand the culture and work dynamic of M-KOPA, and your work style is consistent with that.
- You have good problem solving skills able to solve minor issue without having to wait but also know when to consult.
- You value “done” much more than “perfect”, and recognize the difference between the two.
- You have strong ethics (high level of integrity and honesty).
- You have the ability to keep a high level of confidentiality.
- You work well under pressure.
- You are highly diplomatic and can deal with different personalities as well occasional conflict without getting discouraged.
- You have strong proficiency in Microsoft Office applications – and an appetite to improve these skills. Constantly trying to improve their skills and toolbox to increase on-the-job efficiency.
- Administrative experience is a plus
- Experience in a similar role
Remuneration: Competitive package covering a monthly salary, performance bonus and medical benefits reflective of the candidate’s experience and skills.
How to Apply
To apply, send an updated detailed copy of your CV and a cover letter expressing why you feel you would be an excellent candidate for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject EV-EACEO-2065
Deadline for application is 12 noon of Monday 15th February, 2016.