Using the 8-4-4 curriculum combined with the best international training, we deliver a truly world-class educational experience with exciting opportunities to learn and grow both inside and outside of the classroom.
Position: School Caterer / Head Cook
Your role will be based at the school- Nova Academy, Ondiri, Kikuyu
Reports To: Principal
- Living the Nova Culture
- Recruit and hire staff, including cooks and other kitchen workers.
- Prepare a full-term’s menu reflecting the highest nutritional quality of the meals at the highest cost-efficiency
- Order or requisition food and other supplies needed to ensure efficient operation.
- Determine how food should be prepared and presented ensuring consumption and avoiding any form of wastage.
- Prepare and cook foods of all types on a regular basis including meals for students on special diets
- Instruct cooks and other workers in the preparation, cooking, garnishing, and presentation of food.
- Supervise and coordinate activities of cooks and kitchen workers engaged in food preparation.
- Determine production schedules and staff requirements necessary to ensure timely delivery of services.
- Estimate amounts and costs of required supplies, such as food and ingredients.
- Inspect supplies, kitchen equipment, and work areas to ensure conformance to established standards.
- Analyze recipes to assign prices to menu items, based on food, labor, and overhead costs.
- Monitor sanitation practices to ensure that kitchen staff are adhering to standards and regulations.
- Arrange for kitchen equipment purchases and repairs.
- Work with the procurement department and various sales representatives and community-based suppliers in order to negotiate prices and order supplies.
- Leverage best practices and collaborate with other personnel to plan and develop recipes and menus, taking into account such factors as seasonal availability of ingredients.
- Check the quality of raw and cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
- Check the quantity and quality of received products.
- Demonstrate new cooking techniques and equipment to staff.
- Record production and operational data on specified forms.
- Coordinate planning, budgeting, and purchasing for all the food operations.
- Advise the Principal of any foreseen risks to kitchen operations recommending strategic ways of resolving the risks
- Passion- Be passionate about serving the Nova student community
- Cost-Conscious- Be conscious about the bottom line whilst enhancing nutritional quality and standards.
- Sensitive Palate – Be able to explore various combinations of menus and make them work cost-effectively
- Creativity – Be able to put his/her own stamp on traditional dishes and create new combinations. Be able to create new dishes easily, experiment new flavours and dishes be always ready for change.
- Teamwork – Must be able to manage workers, delegate responsibility and work closely with others.
- Determination –The head cook needs to be prepared to work hard. This job, in addition to working early mornings and late evenings will also require working weekends and long hours on your feet.
- Organization & Cleanliness – Be able to bring all the elements of a meal together quickly and efficiently. Be able to plan ahead, keep a cool head in a high-pressure kitchen environment. Be able to keep an extremely organized and clean kitchen.
- A hospitality Diploma or Higher National Diploma in food production or similar.
- Any additional training/certificates- e.g. ISO, HACAP will be an added advantage
- Minimum experience as an institutional chef with demonstrated leadership experience of 5+ years
- A minimum of 3-years of supervising at least 3 employees
- Experience setting up and operating a kitchen
- Current Medical Certificate
- 3 STRONG references in the specified field
Applications close on February 29th, 2016 at 5:00 p.m.
Launch your online application via- http://novaacademies.applytojob.com/apply/