About the Organization: Nuru Kenya is a non-governmental organization currently working in Migori County, Kenya. Nuru Kenya’s mission is to end extreme poverty in remote, rural areas of Kenya.
Overview of the Job: Reporting directly to the Market Linkages & Cooperatives Manager, the Co-operative accountant will help establish and oversee all cooperative accounting systems. Maintain general and subsidiary ledgers and prepares operating and financial statements and preparation of budgets.
- Install and commission an adequate and effective accounting system within the Co-operatives;
- Render reports on the financial condition and operations of the Co-operative monthly, annually or as may be required by Management Committee and/ or General Assembly or Nuru Kenya;
- Provide assistance to Management Committee in the preparation of annual budget;
- Keep, maintain and preserve all books of accounts, documents, vouchers, contracts and other records concerning the business of the Co-operative and make them available for auditing purposes;
- Develop systems so cooperatives are able to track and report loan collection/ repayment using appropriate instruments;
- Review accounting transactions for completeness, internal accuracy, and conformity with established accounting classifications;
- Communicate with regulatory and industry agencies on system reporting requirements such as KRA;
- Build accounting related proficiency and capacity of Cooperative Managers and Mangement Committees
- Perform such other duties as the immediate supervisor may require.
- Be a holder of Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or a Business related course and with at least CPA VI
- Minimum 3 years’ experience working as an Accountant, 1 of which must be in a Co-operative setting or a similar institution
- Those with CPA Section 6 and a Minimum of five (5) years working Experience in the same position will be considered
- Must have good analytical and communication skills
- Must have knowledge of at-least one Accounting Software relevant to Co-operative business accounting
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to work independently
- Desire to work with rural farmers in field conditions; experience in this setting preferred
- Previous experience working in a cereal marketing co-operative society is an advantage
- Be a Kenyan citizen
- Fluent in English and Swahili
Nuru Kenya is an Equal Opportunity Employer, we give equal opportunity to all qualified candidates.
Incomplete applications will not be considered
Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification
We do not charge or accept money as a fee at any stage in our hiring process.
See www.nuruinternational.org for further information about the organization.