Implementation Associate, Precision Agriculture for Development
Position: Implementation Associate
Deadline to Apply: Application reviewed on a rolling basis
Start Date: TBD
Eligibility: Local and International
About Innovations for Poverty Action: is a non-profit organization dedicated to discovering and promoting effective solutions to global poverty problems.
In close partnership with decision makers — the policymakers, practitioners, investors, and donors working with the poor around the world — IPA designs and evaluates potential solutions to poverty problems using randomized evaluations, the most rigorous evaluation method available.
We also mobilize and support these decision makers to use these solutions to build better programs and policies at scale.
About the Project: Smallholder farms support more than two billion people worldwide, but many rely on inefficient practices.
Various studies suggest that small changes in agricultural practices can substantially improve farm productivity.
However, standardized recommendations might have a limited effectiveness due to variation in agro-climatic conditions: for example, the most profitable types of inputs, such as seeds or chemical fertilizers might depend on specific land needs (such as pH levels), which can greatly vary across small areas.
Localized agricultural information could greatly improve productivity, reduce unnecessary input use and increase profits.
Precision Agriculture for Development (PAD) is piloting operations in Western Kenya. PAD’s goal is to sustainably improve lives for farmers in the developing world by developing and diffusing cost-effective, easily scalable, customized agricultural information services.
IPA is looking for an Implementation Associate to manage the initial stages of the PAD project in rural Western Kenya.
This position will include both research and project implementation components.
The Implementation Associate will report to the IPA Research Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as key link between IPA Kenya management, field –based team, PAD US-based staff and the PAD board of directors
- Directly supervise team of field staff, manage and implement PAD’s programmatic activities
- Plan and execute program activities: identify priorities, create timelines, meet with stakeholders, monitor project implementation
- Work in coordination with the Technology Lead to develop and pilot mobile-based information product
- Oversee project financial management, including the creation and monitoring of project budgets, and ensure smooth integration of projects into IPA financial systems
- In collaboration with IPA finance team and senior management, produce project deliverables, such as reports and financial statements, to be submitted to donors and partners
- Coordinate Hiring and train field staff
- Support impact evaluation activities: survey development, RCT implementation, etc.
- Attend meetings with local government officials and partners to ensure success of project activities
- Master’s degree in related field, such as development or agricultural economics, public policy, international development, business administration
- At least two years of field research or project management experience
- Strong budgeting and financial management skills; experience with writing reports and/or grant proposals
- Strong written and oral communication skills and complete fluency in English
- Ability to work with little supervision
- Experience supervising data collection, teams of field workers, survey design and implementation and data management is strongly preferred
- Developing country experience required
- A desire to commit to this position for two years
- Demonstrated successful entrepreneurial experience or demanding professional work experience in developing country settings.
- Experience with randomized control trials and/or applied statistics
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter and detailed CV, 3 references, daytime phone number(s), and email address.
Your CV should include your scores or grades and other measures of academic achievement, and details about any relevant work experience.
Applications must be submitted ONLY by email to email@example.com , please ensure that the subject line reads: “Implementation Associate” REF NO.
Precision Agriculture for Development: 2016-02-01.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by email for an interview.
Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a ROLLING BASIS
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Implementation Associate. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.