The Refugee Consortium of Kenya (RCK) is a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) with a mission to promote and protect the rights and dignity of refugees and other forced migrants through enabling programmes on legal aid, advocacy and awareness creation.
RCK has offices in Nairobi, Dadaab, Kakuma and Garissa.
RCK is seeking to fill the following position in the Kakuma camp sub-office
Job Title: Programme Manager – Kakuma
Division / Department: Legal and Social Justice Programme
Location: Kakuma Refugee Camp
Location: Kakuma Refugee Camp
Post holder reports to: Programme Officer-Legal & Social Justice Programme / Senior Programmes Officer
Staff reporting to this post: All staff at the field station – Kakuma refugee camp
RCK Mission: To protect and promote the rights and dignity of refugees and other forced migrants through enabling programmes on legal aid, advocacy and awareness creation
Job Purpose: To provide legal advice and procedural support to the organization on issues relating to and affecting displaced persons as well as administrative legal matters in an effective and efficient manner as in charge of RCK Kakuma field station.
- Manage and coordinate the implementation of activities in RCK’s Kakuma sub-office.
- Attend to clients at the legal aid clinic and asses cases for intervention.
- Seek access to clients in detention, ascertaining the conditions under which such clients are being detained, and provide them with appropriate legal and other assistance in accordance with RCK policy.
- As requested by the Programme Officer/ Executive Director, conduct investigations, participate in boards of inquiry and advising on appropriate action to be taken.
- Ensure adequate legal representation by the Kakuma legal team of refugees especially unaccompanied and separated minors, GBV survivors in court and in police stations.
- Prepare responses to enquiries on legal issues of a refugee law /international law from RCK staff, governments, inter-governmental organizations, institutions, and the public.
- Participate in capacity building of RCK’s stakeholders in relation to domestic and international law that relate to refugees and other forced migrants.
- Prepare monthly reports and donor related reports within schedule.
- Develop and maintain a database of and relations with internal /external referral partners.
- Develop proposals and budgets for fundraising for program work.
- Represent the organization in legal forum and disseminate information to other RCK programmes.
- Monitor project implementation and keep RCK head office appraised of the project progress.
- Represent RCK with the regional/local governments, UN bodies and non-government organizations as well as stake holders’ forums in Kakuma camp as required.
- Supervise RCK staff in Kakuma camp and coordinate administrative tasks.
- Manage RCK assets in Kakuma refugee camp.
- Such other duties temporarily or on a continuing basis, as may reasonably be required, commensurate with your grade.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelors degree in Law / Social Sciences / development studies / project management or any other relevant degree.
- At least two years’ experience with an NGO dealing with protection work.
- Knowledge of the Kenyan Legal system and of regional & international instruments on refugees.
- Two years’ experience in a management position is an added advantage.
- Experience in proposal writing, programme management, monitoring and evaluation
- Proven ability to build external relationships with diplomacy, tact and professionalism in a complex and demanding environment.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and support multi-sector programmes including operational planning and problem solving.
- Demonstrated experience of people management and team-building.
- Excellent written and presentation skills in English.
- Must show ability to work in an isolated and challenging environment.
Working Conditions: The Job is complex, sensitive and stressful. Work requires willingness to work a flexible schedule and travel. Work may require frequent weekend and evening work as well as high degree of autonomy.
Interested candidates who meet the above requirements should send their applications along with a detailed Curriculum Vitae highlighting current position and expected salary.
Send your application via email to email@example.com to be received by 5pm on Wednesday, 3rd February 2016.
Only successful candidates will be contacted.
RCK Is an equal opportunity employer.