Vacancy: Safety and Security Coordinator for Kenya / Somalia
Desired Start date: 01/03/2016
Deadline for application: 29/02/2016
Duration of the mission: 12 months
Location: Nairobi (50%) with regular trips to Somalia (50%)
Quote: “Almost every successful person begins with two beliefs: the future can be better than the present, and I have the power to make it so.” David Brooks
About the mission: Solidarites International (SI) Kenya / Somalia mission started operations in March 2007.
The head office is based in Nairobi. SI main areas of intervention are WASH and Food Security. In Kenya, SI has a field base in North Horr from where Resilience and WASH project are implemented in Marsabit county.
In Somalia, SI has field bases in two regions: Lower Juba with an office in Dhobley and in Hiraan with a new office to be opened in Beledweyne.
SI is also considering opening activities in other locations. Insecurity in Somalia does of course affect our presence on the ground.
This situation has deteriorated recently, affecting all humanitarian activities of all humanitarian actors, and incurring real difficulty of access.
About the job: The Safety and Security Coordinator (SSC) is a senior management position whose key role is to provide Safety and Security coordination throughout the SI areas of operation.
Reporting directly to the Country Director (CD), holding a seat on the Senior Coordination Team (SCT) and having strong support and technical links to the Field Coordinators (FC) and Field Officers, the SSC will be expected to provide high level technical support and leadership to the SI programs.
The main challenges of the position are: In addition to the skills expected of a senior management the role has 3 core elements:
Information – ensure that security related information moves seamlessly across the organization to enable a uniform situational awareness leading to informed decision making.
Capacity building – through enforcement and development of policy and procedure as laid down at the Global and Country level to ensure the organization and all Staff are equipped and prepared to operate across the spectrum of risk encountered in Somalia and Kenya.
Response – ensure that critical incidents and crises, together with their aftermath, are dealt with efficiently and effectively.
Responsibilities Management and Leadership:
- • Provide technical and management advice as a member of the SCT;
- Support the CD in the leadership and management of the SI Country Program;
- Support and promote the FC and Field Officer (FO) in their security role in the field. Information:
- Maintain organizational situational awareness at the field, operational and strategic level;
- Develop, maintain and expand a broad and eclectic range of contacts to establish an information network to support SI contextual understanding and provide support in the event of incident and crisis.
- Ensure compliance with Global and Country level policy;
- Ensure Security is mainstreamed throughout the organization by leading the development of integrated joint departmental planning and risk assessment;
- Lead the development and implementation of novel and engaging trainings to ensure the organization and its’ staff remain equipped and prepared to operate in the risk environment.
- Ensure organizational resilience and business continuity through the efficient and effective management of incidents and crises
Your profile Experience:
- At least 4 years of field experience with INGOs in conflict areas with demonstrable evidence of a leading role in operations or safety and security;
- At least 2 years of experience working in the Somalia context or similar;
- Proven experience and ability to professionally and appropriately represent the organization and negotiate and defend its interests and neutrality with a diverse range of stakeholders;
- Excellent technical skills in both ‘hard’ and ‘soft’ security skills and a proven ability to utilize both interchangeably;
- Clear understanding of the Regional and Global issues affecting Kenya and Somalia;
- Demonstrated ability to work under difficult conditions and a high degree of pressure.
- Making order from chaos rather than adding to it!
- Demonstrable leadership and management skills.
Technical skills and knowledge:
- Excellent computer literacy to include basic GIS;
- Ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner, both in writing and orally;
- Holder of a valid international driver’s license;
- Qualifications in matters related to safety and security are an advantage.
- English : fluent with good writing capacities;
- Somali, French or Kiswahili are strongly desirable
Other desirable qualities:
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Excellent planning, coordination and reporting skills, with the ability to organize a substantial workload comprised of complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities
- Ability and willingness to dramatically change work practices and hours, in the event of emergencies
- Willingness to work and travel in often difficult and insecure environments
- Lead by example and demonstrate physical and moral courage
SI will offer you: A salaried post: according to experience from 2000 euros, basic salary per month.
Please open below link for details of the position requirements and to apply online http://www.solidarites.org/en/g/en/
Desired start date is 01/03/2016.
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
Solidarités International is an equal opportunities employer