The Commission on Administrative Justice (Office of The Ombudsman) is a Constitutional Commission established under Article 59 (4) and Chapter Fifteen of the Constitution and the Commission on Administrative Justice Act, 2011.
CAJ seeks to recruit a qualified:-
Senior Legal Officer
Job Grade: CAJ 6
Reporting to: Director – Legal and Advisory Services
Duties and responsibilities will entail:
- Attending to clients on matters relating to administrative justice and offering legal advice thereon;
- Representing the Commission in legal proceedings, including amicus briefs;
- Assisting the Commission in conducting hearings, inquiries and investigations in matters falling within its mandate;
- Conducting legal research on disputes relating to administrative justice and proposing appropriate determinations, decisions or recommendations thereon;
- Assisting the Commission in resolution of complaints through ADR including mediation, negotiation and reconciliation;
- Preparing periodic reports on complaints investigated and remedial action taken by the Commission;
- Participating in public education and outreach programmes of the Commission;
- Participating in the preparation of work plans, procurement plans, progress reports, and other statutory reports of the Commission.
- Preparing Legal and advisory opinions;
- Providing recommendations or remedial alternatives for resolution of disputes
- Reviewing files and other assignments allocated to Legal Officers and Legal Interns
- Exercising supervisory and disciplinary control over officers subordinate to the position
- A Bachelor of Laws Degree (LL.B) from a recognized University
- An Advocate of the High Court of Kenya
- A member of the Law Society of Kenya in good standing
- At least five (5) years’ experience in litigation in a busy environment
- Experience in handling and resolution of complaints will be an added advantage
- A post graduate qualification in law or other relevant filed will be an added advantage
- A valid practising certificate
- Meet the requirements of Chapter 6 of the Constitution of Kenya
- Willingness to serve the people of Kenya in any station within the Republic
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Analytical skills
- Excellent legal research skills
- Management and supervisory skills
Deployment: The successful candidate should be open to work in any station where the Commission has business in Kenya.
The Closing date is on 12th February 2016 at 4.30pm
The applications should be addressed to:
The Commission Secretary
Commission on Administrative Justice,
2nd Floor, Westend Towers- Waiyaki Way,
P.O. Box 20414 City Square, 00200
Applicants will be shortlisted based on their qualifications and work experience.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The Commission on Administrative Justice is an Equal Opportunity employer