Our client is a leading real estate development partner offering solutions that range from project management to co-development and property trading in the Kenyan real estate sector.
They have a wide portfolio of blue chip clientele and partners having achieved unmatched recognition in the industry and effectively built its brand as a reliable delivery partner.
They have has responded to the socio-economic needs of the growing population through the development of innovative developments that positively transform neighbourhoods and communities throughout the region.
They intend to develop a portfolio of over 50,000 Residential Studio units over the next 7 years and is looking for a young energetic individual seeking to join a vibrant forward thinking organization in an exciting leadership position as General Manager – Youth Housing.
Are you a young seasoned General Manager who is confident, ambitious, resourceful and imaginative with the desire to challenge yourself?
Are you interested in being part of a team focused towards transforming the real estate market in Kenya and beyond the East African region?
If so, then this is the job you are looking for.
Our client would like to fill the position of a General Manager – Youth Housing who will be reporting to the Executive Director.
Job Purpose / Summary: The General Manager will be responsible for the professional day-to-day management of the portfolio of properties located in the Nairobi suburb.
This position would appeal to an individual who possesses exceptional customer service, marketing and business management skills gained in a Hotel/Hospitality working environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
Marketing and Leasing of all commercial and residential units.
- Identifying, appointing and working with a creative agency to create the Brands for the Youth Housing product.
- Working with a creative agency to produce a marketing video.
- Develop and execute the marketing and leasing plan under the supervision of the Executive Director.
- Oversee and perform leasing duties including responding to inquiries, showing units, booking reservations and preparing and executing leases.
- Adhere to the branding guidelines to maintain brand identity.
- Conduct market surveys on customer satisfaction.
- Have a constantly up-to-date and all-encompassing understanding of market trends, comparable properties and the target demographic.
- Assess changes in the rental market through analysis of traffic and rental records.
- Being culturally aware and able to work with diverse groups of people and interests.
- Implement and promote a vision of state of the art Youth housing through all marketing and leasing effort.
- Initiate and proactively participate in discussions and marketing meetings with Universities and retailer representatives that culminate in the leasing of developments.
- Provide superior customer service at all times and continually review and improve customer service strategies.
- Anticipate resident needs and maintain a positive will-do attitude.
- Organize and implement Lease Renewal program.
- Perform regular outreach to build networking relationships throughout the neighborhood.
- Continually build value by investigating potential services or benefits that can be passed on to the residents.
Financial Reporting & Control
- Developing the pre-opening plan and budget template that would be used to open each project.
- Work with the Chief Finance Officer to create annual budget.
- Monitor the timely receipt and reconciliation of rent collections.
- Adhere to approved budget and review financial statements monthly.
- Prepare monthly Income and Expenditure reports for each property highlighting any variances.
- Negotiate for supplies and services with vendors and contractors to achieve the best possible prices while maintaining high-quality product, service and craftsmanship.
- Manage accounts receivable and payable.
Maintaining the Physical Asset
- Prioritize, schedule and monitor daily activities, service requests, inspections, make-ready priorities and construction/improvement projects.
- Perform detailed daily property walks to ensure all maintenance and custodial issues are promptly addressed.
- Identify maintenance issues pre-emptively and prepare for preventative maintenance.
- Maintain permits and required maintenance plan.
- Respond to after-hours emergencies on-site.
- Making sure adequate Security for the properties is provided.
- Anticipate potential security risks or breaches and report them immediately.
- Direct all maintenance Teams.
- Maintain a log/register of all tenant issues and where problems are encountered how these were resolved
- Manage and maintain both physical and digital resident files, vendor and project files.
- Communicate effectively with residents, line managers and vendors (verbally and in writing).
- Provide office coverage Monday through Friday from 8AM to 6PM or as needed.
- Establish policies and procedures with Executive Director as necessary for successful operations.
- Prepare weekly status reports.
- Enforce all terms of the lease agreement including eviction actions.
- Dealing with any HR related issues and ensuring health and safety processes are followed by all residents and staff.
- Making sure staff are aware of policies and procedures.
- Communicating with reception services to coordinate and plan the allocation of accommodation.
- Manage on-site staff through implementation of effective recruitment and mentoring.
- Perform employee performance reviews and implement corrective action when needed; discharge personnel if necessary.
- Provide hands on leadership.
- Ensuring the smooth running of facilities, including the safety and well-being of staff and residents.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Commerce, Finance or Accounting with an MBA or Msc. in Finance / Investments.
- Professional qualifications in CFA, CPA or ACCA with relevant registration with either of the professional bodies.
- Experience in engaging with C level executives is highly desirable.
- Minimum 10-year’s working experience in Senior Management in a 3 Star Hotel or superior facility as a General Manager, Assistant General Manager, Head of Marketing, Head of Finance, or Head of Operations.
- Strong and demonstrated leadership skills.
- Familiar with reservation & ERP Systems.
- Ability to learn different property/asset management software applications.
- Able to prioritize duties and efficient time management skills.
- Excellent customer service, communication skills, and writing skills.
- Commitment to provide exceptional living experience to residents.
- Ability to work under pressure and to solve problems
- The ability to remain diplomatic and pleasant, think on your feet and remain calm in a crisis.
- The capacity to develop strong working relationships with others
Required skills and key competencies
- Excellent command and articulation of the English language.
- High interpersonal skills and ability to interact with people from all walks of life.
- Attention to detail.
- Numerical acumen and analytical.
- Holding people accountable
- Good planning and organization skills.
- Team player with proven leadership skills.
- Good decision maker.
- Delegation and management skills.
Salary: KShs.500,000 – 800,000
How to Apply:
If you are interested in the position and have the skills and talents our client is looking for, we would like to hear from you.
Please make your application through our website www.dorbe-leit.co.ke before close of business 12th February 2016.
Only successful candidates will be contacted.