Aga Khan Foundation, East Africa – YETU Initiative
Employment Opportunity: Communications Officer
Are you a savvy story teller with a passion for philanthropy?
AKF is looking for a dynamic Communications Officer to support the Yetu Initiative (Yetu).
Yetu works with Kenyan Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) to generate community philanthropic support for their missions in three significant ways:
1) direct support to develop and implement fundraising / awareness campaigns;
2) capacity building and training; and
3) development of an online philanthropy portal to connect CSOs and potential donors.
In this role you will have the opportunity to work with government, private sector and civil society to reach into the hearts and minds of Kenyans and rally their support for all kinds of worthwhile causes.
The Aga Khan Foundation (AKF) has been working in East Africa and pursues innovative solutions to the seemingly intractable problems that lead to poverty.
In Kenya, AKF is managing a robust and expanding portfolio of multi-sectoral initiatives that includes programmes in sustainable economic development, education, early childhood development, health, nutrition and civil society strengthening.
The Communications Officer will be based in Nairobi and the overall objective of the role is to develop and implement a comprehensive communications strategy.
Other key responsibilities include:
- Train and mentor CSO partners to develop and implement their own communications strategies;
- Provide support to CSOs for the development and implementation of fundraising campaigns;
- Develop communications and marketing materials, including: social media messages, advertisements, publications, presentations, videos and document best practices for partner engagement and other purposes;
- Cultivate a Yetu community by maintaining consistent outreach and social media presence for the Initiative.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum Bachelors’ degree or equivalent in communications, journalism, international development or relevant field;
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in producing a wide range of strategic communications materials (ideally in both the Kenyan NGO and Kenyan corporate sectors);
- Exceptional English communications skills with the ability to produce high quality reports, publications, advertisements, presentations, documentaries and other communications materials. Kiswahili communications skills a plus;
- Experience in mentoring and training staff in communications;
- Experience carrying out surveys, focus groups, market research and graphic design a plus.
Interested candidates should send their cover letter, CV, names and contact information of three professional referees to the following email address: email@example.com, with “YETU Communications Officer” in the subject line by 30th March, 2016
The Aga Khan Foundation is an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network (www.akdn.org)