The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is an international non-profit, nongovernmental organization that carries out high quality, policy-relevant research on population, health and education issues facing sub-Saharan Africa.
APHRC is looking for a dynamic, motivated and creative individual to join its Policy Engagement and Communications (PEC) division.
The right person will take an innovative and strategic approach to helping APHRC bridge the evidence to policy gap, to ensure that our research in population dynamics, health, education, aging and urbanization has maximum impact at the national, sub-regional and global levels.
The position reports to the PEC Director and is based in Nairobi. A portfolio of 3-5 samples of relevant written work must accompany every application. Those applications that do not include writing samples will not be considered.
- Oversee the implementation of APHRC’s policy engagement strategy
- Drive development of new ecosystem approach to policy engagement
- Develop policy landscaping and mapping in order to optimize opportunities for engagement in support of research outputs
- Work with, and through, national, regional and international networks to facilitate engagement with
- APHRC’s research evidence
- Strengthen APHRC’s work through media networks and associations
- Identify networking and engagement opportunities with relevant audiences at all levels and coordinate relationship-building for researchers and policymakers in international and sub-regional forums
- Coordinate resource mobilization efforts to enhance policy engagement activities and opportunities for further outreach into policy communities to understand how policy-makers use evidence to drive decision-making
- Generate series of policy outlook white papers to support the ability of research programs to interrogate wider policy-relevant research questions
- Develop and execute policy engagement training for research and research capacity strengthening programs.
Skills and Qualifications
- Master’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Policy, Political Science or related field
- At least seven (7) years of post-qualification work experience in communication, writing and content creation, policy analysis, landscaping and mapping, preferably at an international or research organization
- Excellent editing and writing skills as well as ability to translate complex scientific facts into accessible messages for general audiences
- Demonstrable track record in policy engagement, including landscaping, mapping and trend analysis
- Familiarity with communication approaches for planning, executing, and monitoring communications strategies
- Excellent existing network of contacts at sub-regional level
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Demonstrated willingness to work as part of a team
- Networking, interpersonal, analytical and organizational skills coupled with resourcefulness initiative and maturity of judgment.
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply and include their letter of application, portfolio of their work and CV, through our recruitment portal http://jobs.aphrc.org by 1 April, 2016. Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Cover letters should be addressed to:
The Human Resources Officer
African Population and Health Research Center, Inc
APHRC Campus, Manga Close, off Kirawa Road, Kitisuru
P. O. Box 10787-GPO, Nairobi