Job Ref.: RCO-271667
Post holder reports to: Program Manager – Dadaab
Staff reporting to this post: Assistant Program officer Legal and Psychosocial
Organisation Mission: To protect and promote the rights and dignity of refugees and other forced migrants through enabling programmes on legal aid, advocacy and awareness creation.
- Attend to clients at the legal aid clinic and asses cases for intervention.
- Seek access to clients in detention, ascertaining the conditions under which such clients are being detained, and provide them with appropriate legal and other assistance in accordance with Organisation policy.
- Provide legal representation to refugees especially unaccompanied and separated minors, GBV survivors in court, in police stations and child protection cases.
- Conduct investigations; participate in boards of inquiry and advising on appropriate action to be taken.
- Prepare responses to enquiries on legal issues on laws relating to refugees and other forced migrants from Organisation staff, governments, inter-governmental organizations, institutions, and the public.
- Prepare legal briefs and studies on a variety of legal issues and instruments.
- Develop and maintain a database of and relations with internal /external referral partners.
- Update and manage the client databases.
- Participate in capacity building of the Organisation’s stakeholders in relation to domestic and international laws that relate to refugees and other forced migrants.
- Prepare monthly reports and donor related reports within schedule.
- Coordinate legal and administrative activities in Garissa Sub-office
- Supervise and provide leadership to Organisation staff in Garissa
- Support the development of proposal for fundraising for program work.
- Coordinate and carry out program budgetary and administrative tasks.
- Such other duties temporarily or on a continuing basis, as may reasonably be required, commensurate with your grade.
- Bachelor’s degree in Law
- Advocate of the High Court of Kenya with a current practicing certificate.
- At least one year experience in civil and criminal litigation.
- Experience working with an NGO/Humanitarian field is an added advantage.
- Having worked in administrative office is an added advantage.
- Knowledge of the Kenyan Legal system and of regional & international instruments on refugees and human rights.
- Professionalism: In-depth theoretical knowledge of and significant experience in relevant fields of refugee law, Strong analytical, problem solving and drafting skills. Discretion and sound judgment in applying legal expertise to sensitive, complex legal issues.
- Communication: Strong interpersonal and communication (written, spoken and presentational) skills. Proficiency in English and Kiswahili. Knowledge of French is desired.
- Technology Awareness: Fully proficient computer skills and ability to use relevant software applications, in particular information databases, internet/intranet services, library sources, etc.
- Teamwork: Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds with respect for diversity.
- Managing Performance: Ability to supervise, coach, mentor and develop junior staff as required
If you are not interested in this opportunity today, please refer any friend or colleague you know that might suit the required profile.
Applications NOT MEETING minimum requirements will not be considered.
Note: We do not charge any fees for receiving and reviewing applications or for interviews
The Recruiting Organisation is an equal opportunity employer.