Assistant Store Keeper
Job Summary: Under the direction of the immediate supervisor, administers the operations of a store.
Receives, verifies and sells merchandise. Provides information to and assists customers.
Prepares purchase requisitions.
Maintains inventory. Maintains files and prepares reports.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees and administers the operations of a store. Receives, identifies and verifies merchandise. Provides information to and assists customers.
- Maintains inventory. Uses inventory management software. Prepares purchase requisitions for the replacement of stock. Contacts suppliers or searches catalogues to determine price and additional details concerning new items.
- Makes claims with transport companies if delivered merchandise has been damaged.
- Maintains files appropriate to the activities of the unit, such as invoices, order number, receiving date, shipping date, etc. Prepares reports.
- Is responsible for cash and makes cash deposits.
- Verifies ledgers, statements and supporting documents.
- Communicates with others in order to receive or transmit information.
- Handles and stores merchandise or special products that require some knowledge of spontaneous combustion, toxicity, fragility, rapid deterioration, contamination, etc.
- According to requirements and established procedures, arranges stock. In case of emergency or in order to replace outdated material, suggests substitutes available in the store.
- Controls and carries out the lending and renting of tools, equipment, furnishings, and devices. Ensures that they are kept in good condition and that they are repaired or replaced as necessary.
- Oversees the delivery of merchandise following an established schedule and coordinates special deliveries by transmitting the necessary details to the persons concerned.
- Maintains equipment and instruments. Ensures cleanliness of work areas.
- Uses equipment necessary for the handling, shifting, or moving of material, such as a hand truck, forklift, hydraulic platform, etc. Uses office equipment such as a typewriter, computerized information system, calculator, photocopier, fax machine, etc.
The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
Education and Experience
- Minimum of a Diploma in the field
- Five (5) years related experience
- Fluent in English and Swahili
- Excellent Computer skills
Qualified candidates willing to work in Taita only should send their application letters and CV’s including names of three referees, a daytime telephone contact and current and expected salary to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interviews will be done on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.