CARE is an organization driven by its mission to overcome poverty and social injustice.
The CARE ECSA Regional Office is responsible for the oversight of CARE’s operations in the region as well as the provision of support to Country Offices. We work with 16 Country Offices in the region.
We are seeking competent, innovative, self-driven and passionate individual to fill the Regional Strategic Partnerships and Resource Mobilization Director position based in Nairobi who will be flexible and able to travel to Country offices in the East, Central and Southern Africa region.
The position is primarily responsible for leading and implementing a strategic, results-oriented and coordinated approach to the mobilization of significant additional engagements, collaboration and resources from non-traditional sources as private-sector organizations, foundations or high net-worth individuals in order to enable CARE to enhance its capacity to multiply impact in East, Central and Southern Africa.
This includes establishing and strengthening relationships with the private sector and foundations both for programming and for donor potential.
The Regional Strategic Partnerships and Resource Mobilization Director will report to the ECSA Regional Director and collaborate closely with the Regional Leadership Team (RLT), Regional Management Unit (RMU), CARE Member Partners’ technical teams, Fundraising teams, policy and advocacy and communications colleagues in mapping, developing, coordinating, and maintaining CARE’s relationships and partnerships with Key Donor representatives at regional and sub-regional levels.
The incumbent will play a key leadership function to support the implementation of the CARE ECSA Regional Roadmap, particularly with respect to growing and diversifying its donor resource base.
The incumbent will also be expected to support active application for consideration of upcoming funding and partnership opportunities for multi-country programming in the sub-regions along related themes (GBV in Great Lakes, Food and Nutrition Security in Southern Africa and Resilience in the Horn of Africa with an overall theme of women’s empowerment in these various areas).
The incumbent will be responsible for leading the development, finalization and implementation of an ECSA Resource Mobilization Strategy and action plan, which will feed into the Regional Roadmap as well as sub-regional business plans for the Great Lakes, Horn of Africa and Southern Africa.
This includes leading the process of enhancing collaboration between a community of existing resource mobilizers at and across the country and regional level and establishing a common resource mobilization process to leverage the power of our collective contributions for the greater global good and impact, which represents a new way of thinking for CARE in the geographies in which we work.
This position will also actively engage with the ECSA Partnering Initiative, a mature technical support mechanism composed of partnership coaches and technical experts within CARE who are engaged in providing flexible and sustained support to partnerships efforts within and across country programs in the region.
The incumbent needs a combination of excellent innovation, creative thinking, problem solving, representation, communication and presentation skills, a strong and varied program background and an ability to quickly grasp and communicate CARE’s program work (both humanitarian as well as development).
This position builds lasting networks and strategic alliances (both internally within CARE HQs, regions and country offices and externally with the regional development community and donors; both traditional and non-traditional).
The incumbent needs to be a “self-starter” who thinks strategically, acts diplomatically, can achieve valuable results with a high degree of autonomy, and has the capacity to provide leadership and vision.
The incumbent is a member of the ECSA Regional Management Team and will likely be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Social Sciences, International Development or equivalent combination of education and at least 8-10 years work experience in this area
- No less than 8-10 years senior management experience in either/or both the non-profit and for-profit context
- Experience working with and through key traditional donor context and entities – with a strong and demonstrable working knowledge, connections and networks with humanitarian and development donors, (e.g. USAID, OFDA, BPRM, DFID, EU, ECHO, DFATD, AFD, DANIDA, NORAD etc.), as well as non-traditional donors such as private sector and trusts
- Experience in international development; strong commitment to gender equality with solid practical experience addressing gender inequality as a barrier to food and nutrition security and ending violence
- Proven experience in results orientated relationship management, networking, marketing and intelligence gathering
- Knowledge of donor rules and regulations
- Must be English-speaking with high French speaking and communication ability; Portuguese speaking desirable
- Experience working in East, Central and Southern Africa
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates are encouraged to CLICK HERE to apply for this position by March 31, 2016 through:
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
CARE is an Equal Opportunity Employer promoting gender, equity and diversity.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.