Job Title: Project Officer – Animal Production
Project: Kiambu Dairy Project – KDP
Department: Agriculture and livelihoods
Job / Office Location: Nairobi County
Reports to: Program Manager – Agriculture & Livelihoods
Duration: 18 months from April 2016)
Background: Catholic Relief Services seek a Project Officer – Animal Production, for the Kiambu Dairy Project – KDP. This is a 21 month project in Kiambu County of Kenya aimed at increasing dairy milk production by vulnerable small scale farmers.
Reporting to the Program Manager – Agriculture & Livelihoods, S/he will work closely with Caritas Nairobi who will be the implementing partner of the project.
The KDP project aims to support vulnerable small scale dairy farmers in Kiambu County to increase their milk production through improved cattle breeds and proper dairy enterprise management practices. Most of the practices will include sustainable climate smart dairy production.
Job Summary: On a day to day operational level, the KDP project will be implemented by the Catholic Archdiocese of Nairobi in close collaboration with the local authorities; CRS will provide the technical assistance needed and also link the dairy sector actors in the County.
Responsibility 1: Project implementation and reporting including monitoring, evaluation and learning.
- Ensure project implementation in accordance with CRS’ program quality standards and guidelines.
- Lead in development of a contextual analysis of economic policy and dairy production issues affecting small scale dairy farmers in Kiambu County.
- Participate in the development and implementation of operational work plans in accordance with the budget, results framework, and administrative guidelines approved by CRS
- Participate in budget processes and periodic budget reviews for KDP related activities;
- Keep abreast of new developments in the dairy industry and participate actively in related county based technical working groups and forums; and report the deliberations of such meeting to CRS
- Provide technical assistance in the areas of dairy cattle productivity, Artificial insemination technology, dairy value chain, animal health and climate smart dairy production.
- Together with Caritas Nairobi, select intervention sites and expansion areas based on set criteria after consultation with all stakeholders (beneficiaries, County government other civil organizations etc.)
- Support the Caritas Nairobi team in compiling quarterly reports.
- Reporting: Develop comprehensive CRS quarterly reports for accountability and learning.
- Monitor progress of animal production activity implementation, identifying issues (technical and coordination) and formulate solutions to address the identified issues.
- Strengthen program linkages and foster good working relations with civil society organizations, county government representatives, private sector and community based organizations;
- Facilitate training needs identification and capacity building for Caritas Nairobi and other public and private partners;
- Support the MEAL department to develop annual learning agenda, data analysis from the field and producing customized reports for various applications/interventions;
- Coordinate the adoption of new products and/or approaches in livestock Production and the dairy value chain development
Key Working Relationships:
- Program Manager – Agriculture & Livelihoods
- MEAL Officer
- Caritas Nairobi
- The Kiambu County Government’s ministries of Agriculture, Livestock & Fisheries as well as Water, Environment & Natural Resources.
- Program consultants
- Serves with Integrity
- Models Stewardship
- Cultivates Constructive Relationships
- Promotes Learning
- A broad grasp of socio – economic policy issues with respect to dairy production and especially in Kiambu County
- Experience working with local implementing partners, county governments, civil society, donors and local communities;
- Diplomacy, tact and negotiating skills;
- Training/coaching skills
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills
- The ability to work independently, think innovatively and strategically and work effectively within a team
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Detailed understanding and experience of gender and diversity issues and commitment to addressing inequalities in all the key areas of responsibility
- Demonstrate high levels of initiative
- Flexibility in tasks undertaken
- Ability to work under pressure and deadlines
- Extensive knowledge of participatory approaches
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and action
- Bachelor degree in Agriculture – livestock production option or related field,
- At least 5 years work experience in dairy cattle husbandry especially in the high potential areas of Central Kenya and/or North Rift region.
- At least 3 years work experience with climate-smart agricultural practices in dairy production
Time allocation (*where and expected %):*
- 80% field travel in Kiambu County
- 20% office work in CRS’ Nairobi offices.
Work Environment: Kiambu County.
6. Disclaimer Clause
This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the position
The following statement/declaration shall be included ON ALL job applications:
“I understand that CRS takes all allegations of abuse and exploitation seriously. Abuse or exploitation of children or vulnerable adults is grounds for immediate dismissal.”
Written applications indicating the reference number of position applied for and CV including day-time contact phone numbers, as well as names and contact information of three references should reach the below-mentioned by Close of Business Friday April 1, 2016;
Human Resources Manager
Please indicate the Reference Number (**Ref: 2016/12**) on the ‘email subject.
Note: Catholic Relief Services (CRS) does not charge any fees from applicants for any recruitment.