Embassy of Denmark, Nairobi
Vacancy: Green Growth and Employment Programme Manager
About the Danish Embassy and the candidate: The Danish Embassy in Nairobi has more than 50 staff covering Denmark’s broad and close engagement with Kenya and Somalia.
Our work in Kenya is guided by the Denmark-Kenya Partnership Policy 2015-2020. Implementation of the Ksh.15 billion Denmark-Kenya Country Programme 2016 – 2020 has recently commenced.
The Green Growth and Employment Programme is among the three thematic areas of the Country Programme. In order to successfully deliver the ambitions of this thematic area, the Embassy is seeking to recruit a Programme Manager who would join the Green Growth team.
The Green Growth and Employment Programme Manager is a hardworking individual with strong strategic thinking and analytical skills, a track record of senior-level interaction and socio-economic awareness in the development sector.
The individual will possess substantial work experience in the area of green growth, climate change, sustainable development and their linkages to the private sector.
Strong programme management skills (including administration, financial management and monitoring) are critical qualifications, along with being a team player who will excel in a corporate culture where the tone is informal.
The individual will also have strong networks in the Government and private sector which will be called upon from time to time whilst undertaking various assignments for the Embassy.
Eagerness to share knowledge with and learn from colleagues and ability to work both independently and within a team structure whilst delivering high quality results within tight deadlines, are requisite capabilities for this position.
The holder of this position will report to the Embassy Team Leader for Green Growth and Employment. The work requires travel outside Nairobi.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Management (including administration, monitoring and evaluation, liaison and dialogue) of the assigned programme portfolio in the areas Green Growth and Employment Programme (creating an enabling framework for promoting Kenya’s green development pathway).
- Ensure coordination with the respective focal points of Government of Kenya Programme partners (Ministry of Environment, National Environment Management Authority among others) during implementation of project activities, monitor and analyze progress made per the delivery plan and budget of the approved workplans; identify problems and issues to be addressed and propose corrective actions.
- Actively advise the Embassy of new opportunities being undertaken by various stakeholders by staying updated on emerging global and national issues on green growth and employment trends.
- Promote knowledge management and sharing, document best practices and lessons learned from programme implementation, and facilitate dissemination to relevant stakeholders as well as creation of synergies between programme partners.
- Support the development and implementation of technical work and consultancies associated with the policy support components of the Programme, as required.
- Maintain and improve a broad network of contacts to the benefit of the Embassy (including Government levels, civil society, think tanks and research institutions, private sector, development partners etc).
- Participate in Development Partner coordination meetings in the relevant areas
- Contribute to the overall implementation of the GGEP with a focus on financial management, programme indicators, and manage technical reporting from programme partners including regular monitoring visits to project areas.
- Master’s degree in development studies, economics, environmental management, or other discipline related to green growth and at least 6 years of working experience at a senior level. Bachelor’s degree with over 8 years work experience may be considered
- Over 6 years’ progressively responsible experience in development programme/project management in sustainable and economic development in Kenya with good knowledge of results based management, administration, financial management, monitoring and evaluation experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (in English)
- Analytical, evaluation and report writing skills
- Excellent research, information management and networking skills
- Team player (references will prove the candidate to be a team player)
- Experience working for and/or interacting with development partners (‘donors’) or international organisations
- Experience working with/for Government of Kenya institutions (e.g. Ministry of Environment, NEMA, Ministry of Industrialization etc) and private sector.
- Experience working in the field of sustainable economic development,
- Experience in managing consultancy contracts (including audits, evaluations and reviews)
- Good knowledge of Results Based Management and Monitoring and Evaluation
- Good understanding of economic development factors in relation to inclusive green growth and employment
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Ability to manage tasks independently and meeting tight deadlines
- Skilled in MS Office programs (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), and other relevant programmes and applications
- Knowledge of national languages spoken in Kenya
How to Apply
For a detailed job description, please visit http://kenya.um.dk/.
All interested and eligible candidates should send their application letter, CV including 3 referees and updated documents to email@example.com not later than March 28th 2016.
The email subject should be PROGRAMME MANAGER –GREEN GROWTH AND EMPLOYMENT PROGRAMME
Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
The Embassy of Denmark encourages all relevant applicants to apply for the position, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, personal background, etc.