Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya
Reports To: Director, Africa Region
Start Date: ASAP
About Evidence Action: Evidence Action scales proven development solutions to benefit millions of people around the world. We fill the gap between knowing ‘what works’ and having impact at scale.
About Deworm the World Initiative
The Deworm the World Initiative enables governments to eliminate the public health threat of intestinal worms through school-based mass deworming programs.
In Kenya, we work in close partnership with the Government of Kenya on the National School-Based Deworming Program, a government program implemented by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology and the Ministry of Health with the goal of eliminating parasitic worms as a public health problem among children in Kenya.
In 2015, we began discussions with the government and current donors about the need to continue the program beyond the current five year term, which ends in June 2017. We intend to secure sufficient technical and financial resource capacity to continue the program for another five years. A key component of this strategy is developing this capacity within the government.
About the Position: The Senior Manager, Policy will report to Evidence Action’s Director, Africa Region and will be based in Evidence Action’s regional office in Nairobi. S/he will work closely with organizational leadership including the Director, Global Innovation and Director, Deworm the World Initiative, and the Kenya deworming program team.
- Support and cultivate productive government and partner relationships including building new relationships, managing existing relationships, and understanding and observing appropriate protocols.
- Formulate, articulate, and execute key policy goals and objectives for the Deworm the World Initiative – Kenya.
- Collaborate closely with other managers to achieve advocacy and policy-related outcomes.
- Perform research and analysis of relevant policy and regulatory issues at local and national levels, and provide recommendations to senior leadership.
- Understand and advise on appropriate governance structures that advance the goals of the program.
- Translate technical details of programmatic work into strategic opportunities through a variety of communications techniques.
- Promote the use of evidence for decision-making internally and in external relationships, communications and actions.
- Support other policy tasks as required and in consultation with program staff.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree economics, international relations, public health or related field from a recognized University strongly preferred.
- At least 5 years of progressively senior policy and analysis experience.
- Track record of building relationships with senior leaders and policymakers
- Proven skill in negotiation, networking, and managing complex relationships.
- Strong interpersonal skills; experienced and comfortable working collaboratively across teams and cultures.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Significant experience in developing countries required. Kenya-specific experience strongly preferred.
- Subject matter expertise in health, education, economic development, neglected tropical disease, or other development areas strongly desired.
- Passionate about social impact and experienced in social enterprise, entrepreneurial nonprofit, or start-up environment.
- A sense of humor.