Vacancy: Livestock Production Project Officer
Inades Formation is a pan African organization working in ten (10) African Countries viz Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Chad, Cote D’Ivoire, Rwanda, Tanzania, Kenya, Togo and DR Congo.
In Kenya, the offices are situated in Machakos town – approximately 60 km east of Nairobi.
INADES-Formation Kenya is anticipating getting additional funding for a Livestock Farmer Field schools training and is looking for a suitable candidate to fill the position of a Livestock production project officer to be based in Makueni.
The position will only be filled on receipt of the anticipated funding.
Interested candidates should have the following qualifications and competencies:
- A university degree in Livestock production or related.
- At least three years working experience for non-profit organization/s.
- Experience in conducting Livestock Farmer Field Schools
- Demonstrated experience in working with local implementing partners.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Proven track record on fundraising skills.
- Excellent coordination and organization skills.
- A valid driving & riding license with at least 5 years’ experience practical driving (Those without this qualification should not apply).
Roles and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will work with/supervise two field officers in accomplishing the following:
- Map and identify the existing livestock production groups in the projects area.
- Form new producer groups (FFS’s) in the areas where they do not exist.
- Select groups to be trained and form Farmer Field Schools (FFS). Compile data of each selected FFS e.g. no. of men, women, youth, location etc.
- Profile the agricultural practices and technologies used in livestock production by the groups and identify the training gaps and needs within the groups through Participatory Rural Appraisal (PRA),
- Identify the appropriate agricultural production techniques and technologies that can be applied in the groups as well as the improvement that can be done on existing ones for increased productivity.
- Develop a training materials with respect to the training needs identified and that can suit the FFS model to meet the project targets in terms of numbers and content.
- Capacity building of producer groups / Cooperatives
- Define their business objectives, initiate business activities, and establish governance and management systems and business plans.
- Conduct the actual training of the FFS as per the curriculum and the training needs.
- Identify Lead Farmers (men, women and youth) per FFS/producer group who will serve as the group-based technical expert. These lead farmers will be trained further and integrated into the trainings as assistants or co-trainers and will continue training post project period. Alongside this, qualified BDS providers can be linked to the groups to provide sustainable training in their areas of expertise and to guide farmers on their available technologies.
- Follow-up, monitoring and evaluation of the FFSs performance and up-scaling of the appropriate technologies.
- Link all producer groups with commercially oriented producer association or cooperatives with established management systems and structures.
- Support building of partnerships between producers, buyers & BSPs
- Train PFGs / cooperatives on management and development skills to ensure continuity and sustainability as well as self-financial maintenance.
- Support peer-to-peer learning between FFS trainees and commercially oriented livestock farmer & study tours.
If you meet the above qualifications please apply by sending your application letter and CV to the
Inades Formation Kenya,
P.O. Box 1905 – 90100
through e-mail address: email@example.com
and cc firstname.lastname@example.org
by March 10, 2016.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted