Position: Senior Field Officer – Rural Electric Power Project
Deadline to Apply: 25th March, 2016
Start Date: 18th April, 2016
Location: Busia and Siaya
Eligibility: Position open to local Kenyan hires only
About IPA: An Innovation for Poverty Action (IPA) discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems.
IPA designs, rigorously evaluates, and refines these solutions and their applications together with decision-makers to ensure that the evidence created is used to improve opportunities for the world’s poor.
Since our founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 350 leading academics to conduct over 450 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
About the Project: The Rural Electric Power Project (REPP) is a research project based at UC Berkeley to study the impacts of electrification for “under grid” households and businesses in Western Kenya.
Over the past two years, we have laid the foundation for a randomized evaluation of electricity access.
Over the next few months we will develop comprehensive survey instrument and administer a follow-up survey round involving up to 4,000 households, as well as neighboring businesses.
Our academic objective is to study issues relating to energy poverty. Therefore, the specifics of our plans may evolve as new opportunities and ideas arise.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the Associate Field Managers to supervise field teams and ensring data integrity is maintained at all times and minimize errors in data collection and transmission
- Help project management in Planning of field activities and schedules as necessary requirements for every visit.
- Help in timely documentation of field scenarios and relaying the same to the project management for necessary action
- Provide the AFM with daily feedback on field activities
- Timely collection of quality data by conducting surveys, interviews and other scheduled activities and by rigorously following the study protocol with minimal supervision
- Interacting with community members, village elders, respondents and project partners with the highest level of integrity and understanding.
- Diligently administer project interventions in accordance with the protocol and study design
- Creating and sustaining a positive relationship with the study respondents.
- Providing study management team with regular feedback on field activities and review of Field Officer Performance.
- On non-field day, performing office duties such as translation work, filing, Making of phone calls to identified respondents to schedule visits, and other duties as assigned and directed by the supervisor.
Qualifications and Experience
- College diploma or university degree in Social Sciences, Education, Economics, Geography, Statistics, Business or other relevant academic qualifications
- Excellent Oral and written communication in English and Swahili.
- Ability to handle and speak with people from diverse cultural back grounds
- Ability to work independently and as a part of the team
- Willingness to use any means of travel including walking, riding on bikes (Boda boda) and willing to travel to rural parts of Western Kenya.
- Experience with data collection using both paper surveys and CAI.
- Ability to be flexible and confortable interviewing both illiterate and high cadre individuals in a professional manner.
- Basic computing knowledge and skills – Mandatory.
- Past Experience in electronic data collection using SurveyCTO, ODK or any other CAIs.
- Knowledge and ability to communicate in local languages spoken in Busia and Siaya Counties i.e. Luhya, Ateso and Luo speakers desired.
Click HERE to apply online
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Senior Field Officer. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Applicants should specify the preferred location in their applications.