Position: Programmes Manager – Katiba Institute
About Katiba Institute: Katiba Institute (KI) is a constitutional research, policy and litigation institute established to help with the implementation of Kenya’s 2010 Constitution and generally to assist develop a culture of constitutionalism in Kenya.
KI also works to foster the spirit of Constitutionalism in the East African region by promoting exchange of academic discourse on constitutional issues and by working with like-minded organizations to secure greater freedoms in the East African Region.
About the Position: The Programmes Manager will be part of Katiba Institute’s management team, working within the overall framework of the Institute’s philosophy and vision, and its strategic plan approved by the Directors and the Board, and under the supervision of the Executive Director.
The appointee will direct, supervise and coordinate the operations of the organization, develop good practice, ensuring and improving the performance and resource mobilization, productivity and efficiency of the Institute’s operations and programme work and upholding its image as a highly technical, quality-oriented institute through the provision of effective management of people and programmes.
The position requires an enthusiastic and dynamic individual with a critical mind, a commitment to the aims of the Institute and a passion to help manage its growth and maintain its strong reputation.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Coordination and Supervision –
- Coordinate, manage and monitor the workings of various programmes of the Institute.
Resource Mobilization and Donor Liaison –
- Develop and manage resource mobilization strategy. Identify and liaise with donors.
- Ensure timely and accurate reporting to donors.
Best Practices –
- Improve processes and policies in support of the Institute’s goals.
- Formulate and implement departmental and institutional policies and procedures to maximize output.
- Monitor adherence to rules, regulations and procedures.
- Ensure job satisfaction of all staff.
Human Resources –
- Supervise staff.
- Coordinate recruitment of staff.
- Establish and monitor work schedules.
- Manage and monitor quality and quantity of employee productivity.
- Evaluate performance.
Communication and PR –
- Facilitate effective coordination and communication between programmes and between the Institute and its partners.
- Follow up contacts with sponsors, media & public.
- Look after PR of organization, including regular updates of the organization’s website, production and sending out of Annual Reports, Institute’s technical reports, publications and newsletter.
- Coordinate and manage the Institute’s events.
- Plan effective strategies for the financial well-being of the organization.
- Ensure financial reporting compliance and that audit arrangements are in place.
- Oversee effective financial control.
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance including monitoring for regulatory changes and implementing change as required.
Strategic Input –
- Work with top management.
- Assist in the development of strategic plans for operational activity. Implement and manage operational and work plans.
Provide cover for top management staff during their absence.
- This is a position which requires exceptional interpersonal communication, management skills and personal flexibility, in addition to general passion for integrity and good governance.
- Prior knowledge of law and the constitution is not required, though we would expect a successful candidate to have willingness to develop functional knowledge about the constitution.
- The appointee is expected to develop an understanding of the Institute’s objectives and to be committed to their fulfilment.
- Bachelor or graduate degree in business administration, public administration, operations management but other degree-holders with relevant experience are also welcome to apply.
- Substantial management experience preferably in a research, legal or human rights institution and a proven track record of delivery in challenging environments.
- Hands-on team leader with great interpersonal skills, who is able to lead and motivate the staff of all types.
- Pleasant and self-confident personality, able to interact with the wide variety of partners, associates and visitors with whom we engage.
- Flexible and able to work under pressure.
- Critical thinking, planning & organization
- A stickler for timelines and details
- Social and emotional intelligence
- Exceptional communication skills (writing, speaking etc)
- Knowledge and experience in organizational effectiveness and operations management
- Knowledge of human resource principles and practices
- Knowledge of financial and accounting principles and practices
- Information technology skills
- Social justice, human rights and change commitment
Please email a cover letter, curriculum vitae and names and contacts of three referees to: email@example.com
The Application must reach us by latest 11p.m. on March 18, 2016