Kenya Medical Research Institute
Opening date: 9th March 2016
Program description: This program is a collaboration between Kenya Medical Research Institute, Henry Jackson Foundation MRI and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention whose remit is to conduct research in Malaria, HIV, Tuberculosis and other diseases.
Due to its continued growth, the Kisumu HIV Research branch has an opportunity that is challenging, diverse and rewarding for a study medical officer.
Position: Medical Officer
Job Group N
Reports to: Primarily to the study coordinator, and to the lead, clinical trials unit on related issues
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Medicine and Surgery from a recognized university.
- Experience: 2 years’ experience, working in a busy out and inpatient set up
- Registered by Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentist Board
- Ability to prioritize workload of self and program team members and balance conflicting demands.
- Ability to lead and work within a team environment and in a diverse cultural environment.
Position Summary: Incumbent will have oversight of the clinical and nursing teams in the execution of the medical requirements of the designated protocol.
S/He will carry out medical evaluations of participants, oversee study investigational product administration, report safety events and provide medical care to participants.
- Develop thorough knowledge of the designated protocol, study design, objectives and procedures for implementation.
- Review participants, perform study specific procedures including physical exam and appropriately provide medical care.
- Collection and labeling of specimens.
- Prescribing medications for treatable medical conditions and monitor participants’ safety, manage, document, report and track adverse events.
- Complete study specific CRFs/eCRFs and relevant study forms.
- Respond to field monitor queries as well as Data management team queries
- Create Standard Operating Procedures for Clinical Management of participants, and ensures implementation of clinic related SOPs and study specific procedures.
- Liaises with National and County MoH offices to ensure clinical staff are updated/trained on relevant current clinical care guidelines.
- Supervise clinical and nursing personnel within the designated study.
- Scrutinizes and interprets lab results. Ensuring smooth running of the clinic-lab interface; monitoring and ensuring timely availability of lab results for study participants.
- Provision of sexual and reproductive health services to study participants
- Performs any other duties as assigned by study coordinator, PI or clinical trials unit lead.
Applications should include the following:
- Letter of Application (indicate vacancy number)
- Current Curriculum Vitae with telephone number and e-mail address
- Letters of reference from 2 referees
- Copies of Certificates and academic transcripts
Terms of Employment: 1(one) year renewable contract as per KEMRI scheme of service and a Probation period for the first 3 months.
Remuneration: Compensation is negotiable within the relevant grade, based on educational levels, relevant experience and demonstrated competency.
Applications are due no later than: 30th March 2016
Human Resource Manager,
P.O. Box 1578,
Or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
KEMRI/CDC is an equal opportunity employer; women and disabled persons are encouraged to apply.
KEMRI/CDC and does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process including application, interview meeting and processing