M-KOPA is seeking a skilled and motivated Software Quality Assurance Analyst to help in the process of developing the growing M-KOPA system.
Position Start: ASAP
Reporting to: Head of Software Development
About M-KOPA Solar: M-KOPA Solar, headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, is the global leader of “pay-as-you-go” energy for off-grid customers.
Since its commercial launch in October 2012, M-KOPA has connected more than 300,000 homes in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda to solar power, and is now adding over 500 new homes each day.
The success of M-KOPA (M= mobile, KOPA= to borrow) stems from making solar products affordable to low-income households on a pay-per-use installment plan.
Customers acquire solar systems for a small deposit and then purchase daily usage “credits” for Kshs 50, or less than the price of traditional kerosene lighting. After one year of payments customers own their solar systems outright and can upgrade to more power.
All revenues are collected in real-time via mobile money systems (such as M-PESA in Kenya) and embedded GSM sensors in each solar system allow M-KOPA to monitor real time performance and regulate usage based upon payments.
This connected design means that M-KOPA is processing vast amounts of data (i.e. over 10,000 mobile payments per day) via the company’s proprietary cloud platform, M-KOPAnet.
As of January 2015 M-KOPA employs over 500 full time staff across East Africa and sells through a network of 1,000 direct sales agents. It has also commenced licensing its technology to partners in other markets.
M-KOPA has been recognized for its pioneering business mode and scale, notably winning the 2015 Zayed Future Energy Prize, being selected as the top New Energy Pioneer at the 2014 Bloomberg New Energy Finance awards and earning the 2013 FT/IFC Excellence in Sustainable Finance Award.
M-KOPA has also successfully tested a range of new products that leverage its relationship with customers, and M-KOPA’s unique competencies in mobile telecommunications and ICT.
To ensure that the research and development of new products add value to (and do not distract from) its core business, M-KOPA is establishing the M-KOPA Labs.
The Labs will be a dedicated business unit within M-KOPA that will define and test extensions of the M-KOPA asset-based credit model for off-grid-power to new products and services.
- Developing a deep understanding of M-KOPA’s systems
- Rigorous testing of M-KOPA’s application and channeling feedback to the development team in a clear, structured way
- Analyzing test output, identifying discrepancies and clearly documenting defects
- Writing test scripts to be used in the testing process
- Working with the Quality Assurance team to ensure that M-KOPA’s system meet the set quality measures
- Building and refining M-KOPA’s testing tools and methodologies
Skills & Experience
- Over 3 years of experience in a similar position
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong testing skills with the desire and ability to find bugs before others do
- Experience using software testing tools
- Experience building and working with automated testing
- Strong knowledge of software development concepts
- Ability to differentiate between the developer’s and tester’s mindset
- Critical thinker with analytical skills and ability to see the big picture while at the same time paying attention to minute details
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a willingness to go the extra mile to assist other team members
- A results oriented individual who thrives working in a fast paced environment
- Self-motivated with the ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and manage own time with changing priorities
Remuneration: Competitive covering a monthly salary, with a large performance element and medical benefits, Company phone, laptop and car all reflective of the candidate’s experience and skills.
How to Apply
To apply, send an updated detailed copy of your CV and a cover letter expressing why you feel you would be an excellent candidate for the role to email@example.com with the subject EV-SQAA-2071
Deadline for application is 5pm on Thursday 7th April, 2016.