These facilities provide a wide range of services including: medical consultation, specialist gynaecological consultations; comprehensive FP services including LAPM; pre- and post-natal care; child welfare services; comprehensive laboratory services; 24 hour maternity services; free condom distribution; school health education; voluntary medical male circumcision; PMTCT and VCT services; STI diagnosis and treatment; post abortion care and safe delivery and associated services.
The holder of this position reports to the Senior Coordinator MSK Centers, but also engages other departments heads as and when need arises.
The Center manager is responsible for the smooth running of a MSK Center. He/she is expected to ensure clinical quality, delivery of high quality services, as well as client safety.
He/she will also provide professional services – if his/her profile is clinical – that complement the Service provider’s role of delivering primary health care services at the allocated center or any other center as the need arises.
Marie Stopes Kenya is an NGO registered in Kenya. We are affiliated to Marie Stopes International. Together we deliver safe abortion, quality sexual and reproductive health care and family planning to millions of the world’s poorest and most vulnerable women.
The primary responsibility of this role is to further our Goal: THE PREVENTION OF UNWANTED BIRTHS and its mission of ensuring the individual’s right to: CHILDREN BY CHOICE NOT CHANCE
The post holder commits to and is held accountable to Marie Stopes International global core values: mission driven, customer focused, results orientated, pioneering, Sustainable and people centered
Key Responsibilities and Measure
- Prepare annual business plans with SMART objectives and strategic plans of how to achieve them.
- Continually assess all areas of the service provided to clients to ensure continued financial viability and take tough decisions where services are deemed non-viable.
- Business plan completed on time with follow-through action plans
Increasing productivity and product margin:
- Continually review the efficiency of the centre, especially with regards to the core services in MSK
- Continuous review of the Professional Development Plans
- Weekly CBR sessions
- CYPs delivered
- # Cryotherapy services
- Monitor income and expenditure, seeking support from Finance as required, and take appropriate action to ensure financial KPIs are met.
- Financial KPIs
- Instill a marketing culture with teams so that everyone is aware of their individual responsibility for the success of their centre.
- Agree marketing activities with the centre marketing champion and the MSK Marketing team.
- Strengthening appropriate referrals with other RHN providers, CHWs and pharmacies within the region.
- CCSPT/FP campaigns and attendant KPIs
- Referral vouchers
2. Operational Management
Optimise client numbers:
- Optimise capacity within the centre by efficiently managing human resources; continually reviewing the effectiveness of systems and working practices; and maintaining an effective client flow to minimise client wait times.
- Client exit interviews and follow-up action plans
Compliance to the national healthcare guidelines and MSI protocols:
- Ensure compliance with national minimum healthcare standards taking immediate action where appropriate on any areas identified for improvements as a result of internal or external audits or inspections.
- Self assessment reports
- Ensure there is an appropriate plan in place which anticipates any risks to your centre and MSK and outlines appropriate action to be taken to minimise impact.
- Proper referral mechanisms
- Standard operating Procedures
- Ensure no over/under- stocking and also that stock is well handled
- Monthly stock report timeliness and accuracy
Health and Safety:
- Take overall responsibility for team, client and general safety in the Centre and as a consequence of its activities.
- Incident reporting
- Utilisation and close supervision of the Client Information Center software (CLIC)
- End of shift reconciliation reports
- Operational Efficiency weekly meetings
- Reconciled banked and actual incomes
3. Quality Management
- Promote and maintain the quality management systems as laid out by MSK and MSI.
- Quarterly QTA scores of 92% and above
- Ensure client feedback and prompt conclusion to potential clients complaints
- 75% clients fill Exit questionnaires
4. People Management
Motivation of team:
- Engage and motivate all team members within the centre so that they understand and work to achieve centre objectives and KPIs and so that their role has a positive impact on the centre’s success.
- Team member survey
- Performance-based Incentives to team members
- Take an active approach to managing the performance of all team members by providing honest feedback on performance; providing formal reviews at least annually; setting appropriate objectives; ensuring appropriate behaviours are discussed and appropriate training plans are put in place.
- Complete and regular Performance plus
- Updated training register
- Clearly define structured local induction plans to ensure new team members understand the requirements of their role and have appropriate training to do the job.
- Ensure that all new team members attend corporate induction within the first 3 months of starting.
- Induction plans
Discipline of team:
- Take immediate and appropriate action in the event of misconduct or serious underperformance of team members, seeking support from People & Development Department as required and ensuring action is in line with MSK’s HR policies.
- Adhere to policies and procedures.
- Proper disciplinary procedures
- Put in place mechanisms for effectively communicating with team members ensuring that the approaches used provide opportunities for two-way discussion.
- Promote a feedback culture within the team.
- Team member survey.
- Adhere to policies and procedures.
Learning and development:
- Create a learning environment to ensure your team members have the appropriate skills to deliver service excellence;
- assess and forward plan for training needs, getting appropriate support from the MSK Learning & Development function and ensure attendance on mandatory/planned courses.
- Attendance at training
- Continuous Medical Education (CMEs)
- Actively take responsibility for own development including ownership of own training and keeping skills and knowledge up to date, seeking support as required.
- Personal development plan.
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor Degree in Health or Business Administration (combination of related education and operational experience in a health care organization may be substituted for Bachelor Degree in Health or Business Administration
- (5) years experience in healthcare field
- Significant operational, hands on management including team management gained within a customer focused service industry
- Healthcare management experience
- IT literacy: confident using MS Office
- MS Word for reports
- MS Excel
- team leadership skills: effective delegation, supervision, coaching and motivation
- communication skills: to convey message clearly and concisely, in a manner appropriate to the target audience both in writing and verbally
- financial skills: understand and use financial information such as balance sheets and profit and loss accounts to inform business decision making
Attitude / Motivation:
Successful performance at MSK is not simply defined in terms of ‘what’ people achieve, but equally is about ‘how’ people go about their jobs and the impact that they have on others.
There are 13 key behaviours that MSI encourages in all employees and they are defined below:
- Thinking and taking action to make the most of opportunities by finding the optimum solution
- Thinking creatively and outside of the box so that ideas generated create a positive outcome
- Communicating through active listening and good questioning techniques, using appropriate body language, ensuring information is clear and concise.
- Demonstrating diplomacy and maintaining confidentiality.
- Being responsive to changing priorities and demands
- Planning, prioritising and organising work to ensure work is accurate and deadlines are met
- Sharing information and knowledge whilst maintaining confidentiality
Focus on Learning
- Taking responsibility for keeping knowledge and skills updated and for seeking opportunities to develop further
- Awareness and understanding of MSK’s goals, vision and values and how your role impacts on this and going the extra mile to meet role requirements
- Drive and determination to deliver results
- Taking responsibility for appropriate decisions that you make, and the actions and behaviour you demonstrate.
- Demonstrating integrity in all aspects of your work including financial integrity.
- Openness to embracing change within the organisation and being able to adjust plans/activities accordingly
- Motivation towards achieving quality results to maximise potential
How to Apply
Applications quoting the position title with detailed CV, with contact details of 3 referees including their email addresses (1 of which should be your immediate supervisor, 1 former supervisor and 1 any other but not a relative) should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 14th March 2016.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
NB: Please clearly indicate in the subject line as “Center Manager”