Africa Economic Justice Program
About the Program
Diakonia is a Swedish Faith Based Development Organization that works together with local partner organizations for sustainable change for the most vulnerable people in the world. We work for a just, equal and sustainable world to change political, economic, social and cultural structures that cause poverty, inequality, oppression and violence. We work in 9 countries in Africa with our Regional Office based in Nairobi.
The Africa Economic Justice (AEJ) Program is a regional program, implemented by Diakonia Regional Office in Nairobi. Through this program, Diakonia wants to reinforce its work to influence and change structural root causes of poverty and injustice in Africa. The program is implemented in collaboration with about 12 partner organizations/networks based in different countries in Africa.
Reporting to Africa Regional Manager, the position is responsible for leading the planning, coordination, monitoring, evaluation, implementation and administration of the programme across the Sub Sahara African Region in order to achieve the overall objectives of Diakonia.
- Oversee the development and implementation of the program strategy. Provide leadership in the delivery of the programme objectives
- Dialogue and co-ordination with other donor agencies, international NGOs, and other strategic actors related to the programme.
- Oversee the finance and administration of the programme and to make payments in respect of the programme.
- Follow-up/monitoring and assessment of partners’ narrative and financial reporting.
- Ensure that audits have been made of partners, according to Diakonia’s and donors conditions.
- Assess partners’ funding applications (strategic plans, annual work plans and budgets).
- Continuous analysis of the situation in the program in relation to the areas of concern for Diakonia.
- Develop funding applications and narrative and financial reports and evaluations on the Programme.
- Regular follow up/monitoring of partners’ work through partner visits.
- Identify and initiate partner institutional capacity building needs and support or initiate activities.
- Responsible for keeping the documentation on partners up to date.
- Attend and arrange exchanges of experiences, conferences and meetings.
- Submit monthly management reports.
- Identify and analyse possible new partner organisations.
- Identify potential donors and fundraise.
- Responsible for the budget and outcome of the programme.
- Master’s degree in development, sociology or other social sciences.
- Post Graduate Diploma – Development courses in Project Management and Monitoring and Evaluation.
- A minimum of seven (seven) years progressive relevant experience in development work in a developing country is mandatory
- Very good thematic knowledge of economic justice issues including investments, financial flows (e.g. debt, capital flight, aid) and gender.
- Experience of gender mainstreaming into programmatic work.
- Experience of work supervision, programme development and budget monitoring.
- Strong skills in monitoring and evaluation
- Good knowledge of Project Cycle Management
- Experience of advocacy, networking and communication work.
- Experience strategic program fundraising.
- Experience of leading workshops and trainings.
- Good administrative and financial ability and staff management experience.
- Excellent language skills in English.
- Knowledge in French and Swedish is an advantage.
- Flexibility to travel to country programmes
Send your application including a cover letter and a detailed CV highlighting relevant experience, details of current and expected salary, contact details and professional referees by close of business 18th March 2016.
In your cover letter:
We ask you to send your CV as a separate file as well as write a presentation about yourself as follows:
Who are you? What are your interests, both privately and professional life? What is your family situation? How do you think you will be able to contribute to Diakonia’s work if you got the job you are applying for? What experience do you have of working with Diakonia’s themes such as human rights, democray, gender equality, peace and conflict and climate issues.
Please comment based on Diakonia’s core values www.diakonia.se
All applications to be sent to the email address below
Platinum Advisory Consulting
P.O Box 491-00100, Nairobi Kenya
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.