RTI is an independent organization dedicated to conducting innovative, multidisciplinary research that improves the human condition.
With a worldwide staff of more than 4,000 people, RTI offers innovative research and development and a full spectrum of multidisciplinary services. Universities in North Carolina founded RTI in 1958 as a centerpiece of the Research Triangle Park.
RTI anticipates staffing the following expertise in long term job positions for donor funded TUSOME Early Grade Reading Project.
TUSOME is focused on curriculum support, teacher training and teaching material development to improve the quality of early grade instruction in formal and non-formal schools through a reading intervention.
The position will be based in the counties of Nairobi.
Application Developer / Programmer
S/He will work in collaboration with the TUSOME IT Team and home office team to support RTI-developed software solutions and its users.
S/he will work closely with IT specialist, IT assistants as well as the education technical team in support of these technology applications.
This includes troubleshooting and addressing user issues and defects both, at server side, as well as in the application’s code. Responding promptly and professionally to bug reports.
In addition the candidate will design and develop programming systems making specific determinations about system performance.
Document code consistently throughout the development process by listing a description of the program, special instructions, and any changes made in database tables on procedural, modular and database level.
High skills sets will be required, this may also include feature design and development.
The successful candidate will have outstanding programming skills and expertise, particularly for native Android applications and Java.
This position requires the ability to work well in an international team environment, excellent communication and problem solving skills, and ability to work well under pressure.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s of Science or higher in Information Technology or other technical discipline, and at least five (5) years working as a software developer.
- The suitable candidate requires troubleshooting skills on software, network and communication devices.
- Strong knowledge and skills in software design and development, including testing, test-driven development, and agile methodologies.
- The successful candidate need to be fluent in spoken and written Kiswahili and English.
- In addition s/he requires utmost reliability and ability to work in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines under pressure.
- Apache PhoneGap/Cordova
- CouchDB, PouchDB, SQLite
- Backbone.js, Marionette.js, Ruby
- Agile /Scrum Developer certification
- Experience building offline-first mobile applications using standard web technologies
- Experience working on international development projects funded by USAID, The World Bank, DfID or other funding agencies
To apply, please email cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 14th March, 2016
Applicants must include Position and Location in the subject line of the email.
Candidates who had applied previously need not to apply for these positions.
Please do not attach copies of certificates.
We regret that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/