Vacancy: Legal Fellow
Sanergy is an award-winning social venture that builds healthy, prosperous communities by making hygienic sanitation accessible and affordable in Africa’s urban informal settlements.
Our systems-based approach to solving the sanitation crisis involves five key steps: we build a dense network of low-cost, high-quality waterless sanitation facilities – called Fresh Life Toilets.
We franchise the toilets to community residents, who run them as commercial toilets; landlords, who offer them as a value-added service to their tenants; and schools, to ensure children always have access to a safe sanitation option.
We provide critical support services – such as access to finance, business analytics, training and aspirational marketing and branding. We collect the waste regularly and safely remove it from the community for treatment.
We convert the waste into valuable end products, such as organic fertilizer and insect-based animal protein,, which we sell to Kenyan farms.
We launched our first toilet in November 2011, and we now have a network of over 600 active Fresh Life Toilets run by over 300 Fresh Life Operators.
We have collected and converted over 7,800 tons of waste. At the same time, we have built a team of over 250 people.
For our work, we have been recognized by Fast Company as one of the 10 Most Innovative Companies in the World Doing Social Good and one of the 10 Best Companies in Africa.
We are an increasingly sophisticated, highly intricate organization with many moving parts.
The Sanergy Fellows Program seeks accomplished, driven individuals who will make substantive contributions to the organization.
We currently seek a Legal Fellow who will work in our Legal department:
Role & Responsibilities
- Assist to ensure timely renewal and termination of third party contracts
- Update and maintain the contracts tracker
- Organization of the legal departments’ in-house registry, including filing
- Under the supervision of the Legal Officer, assist in keeping records of all pending employee and labor relations matters and updating on their status weekly
- Under the supervision of the Legal Officer, assist in drafting simple contracts and leases to facilitate smooth running of company business in the communities it serves
- Research on legal issues as may be from time to time requested by the Legal officer
- Perform any other general office and administrative duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Legal officer and management.
- Must be a recent Bachelor of Law(s) graduate or enrolled in an ongoing Bachelor of Laws(s) programme
- Must be computer literate with a firm grip on MS word and excel
- Knowledge, relevant practice and understanding of paralegal, administrative and general office experience is desirable
- Supplementary training in legal and/or paralegal work will be an added advantage
- A team player willing to learn, adapt and work with minimum supervision
- Excellent communication, influencing and interpersonal skills
- High levels of energy and enthusiasm and ability to work long hours and under pressure
- High level of analytical skills
- High integrity
How to Apply
To apply, please click on https://sanergy.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=8 to submit a cover letter and your 1-page resume/CV.
While the 2016 Sanergy Fellows are not provided monetary compensation, the experience gleaned from their time at Sanergy will benefit them for many years to come.
Join us in pushing the frontiers of innovation!