Save the Children is an organization for talented people with different backgrounds and perspectives. We are proud that our people are representative of the children we work with and we thrive on our diversity.
Save the Children Eastern and Southern Africa Regional Office is looking to recruit for a position of Regional Office Procurement Officer
Job Title: Regional Office Procurement Officer
Staff directly reporting to this post: Administrative Assistant – Procurement (Office Attendant reports to Administrative Assistant – Procurement)
- Management of Procurement function to ensure peak performance that includes high ethical standards; excellent team work and overall efficiency in line with SCI procurement policies, processes and quality standards.
- Assist in development and management of quality implementation of procurement and facilities management policies and procedures that comply with SCI standards and quality framework.
- Deliver on ESARO regional office’s procurement requests, combining use of ad-hoc procurement, approved suppliers and contracted suppliers to meet the needs of the office and internal departments within the office.
- Ensure sound internal controls and segregation of duties in the procurement process.
- Ensure overall best value for money is achieved through a competitive and transparent procurement process considering quality, availability, time frame, transport and storage costs
- Source new products when requested by programmes and work with ESARO RO’s internal departments to identify quality standards as required.
- Advise on best sources of required goods and services.
- Ensure all orders are processed in timely manner, tracked on overviews, status updates are communicated to departments, and that all relevant documentation is filed appropriately
- Develop strong relations with internal departments within the office to support them in improving their ordering Practices.
- In collaboration with the Regional Procurement unit, undertake market research and analysis, run tenders and set up framework agreements for key items.
- Deliver management information reports summarising key trends in spend and performance of the team against KPIs.
- Manage suppliers professionally and proactively, providing feedback to improve performance and leading periodic review meetings.
- Provide ad-hoc procurement support to the ESARO internal departments.
- Prepare Procurement Plans for departments within the East & Southern Africa Regional Office.
- Manage vendors’ contracts and ensure performance evaluation for all vendors.
- Prepare tender documents for the procurement of goods and non-consultants and Request for Proposals for selection of consultants.
- Participate in evaluation of bids and proposals and make sure the bids evaluation report, technical evaluation, minutes of negotiations and negotiated contract in selection of consultants contain all the facts and information required to justify the recommendations made in the report.
- Prepare contract and amendments of contracts when needed.
- Participate in the joint verification of procured goods and equipment and to ascertain the items conformity to Technical Specifications and Quantities.
- Maintain a database on all procurement activities for a project.
- Maintain records of monthly vendor payment reconciliations.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual procurement reports.
- Design and execute a record keeping and filing system.
- Design and execute a contract register.
- Assist internal departments prepare and update Procurement Plans.
- Assist to identify capacity building opportunities for staff and train them in Save the Children procurement practices.
- Maintain a proper filing system in line with Save the children standard practices for all procurement related documentations from the purchase request to the goods received note.
- Develop and manage systems to ensure the proper functioning and repair/maintenance of Regional utilities, facilities and equipment.
- Ensure that safety and security regulations have been met in terms of office management and selection of expatriate housing.
- In collaboration with the Specialized Services unit, prepare databases for all expatriate housing leases including visitors.
- Manage the office Lease.
- Manage the proper functioning of the communication systems.
- Coordinate proper internal controls and management of communication system.
- Manage the procurement of services, supplies and capital assets including regular supplier analysis and monitoring quality service provision; in compliance to SCI logistics standards
- Manage all assets of the regional office ensuring proper coding/tagging, record keeping, quality upgrades and disposals.
- Maintain and regularly update an asset register according to SCI asset procedures.
- Supervise the Regional office vehicles operation and assignment, maintenance.
- Coordinate timely renewal of Vehicle Insurance and Annual Inspection.
- Ensure that vehicle utilization is in accordance with the predetermined policy and allocations.
- Coordinate the proper management of mileage and vehicle fuel consumptions.
- Outsource and monitor the quality of external transport service.
- Coordinate the proper internal controls and management of taxi usage.
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Creates a managerial environment to lead, enable and maintain our culture of child safeguarding
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to; builds and maintains effective relationships with colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity and different people’s perspectives, able to work cross-culturally.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Cuts away bureaucracy and encourages an entrepreneurial approach
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, builds trust and confidence
- Displays consistent excellent judgement
- A degree in logistics, business, or related field, will be preferred. CIPS (Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supplies) an added advantage.
- At least three (3) years of work experience as a Procurement Officer and/or Logistician with an international NGO with regional exposure is desirable.
- Demonstrable experience in procurement and contract management, including an ability to review procurement demands and trends, and to develop strategies to fill identified gaps in the East & Southern Africa Regional Office.
- Knowledge of key institutional donors and their compliance requirements in respect of logistics and procurement.
- Experience of solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy in.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, and negotiation.
- Highly organised with good administration skills for order and information management, able to develop filing systems and databases to ensure an auditable trail
- High proficiency in office applications such as word, excel, powerpoint, etc
- Proven ability to handle challenging work load.
- Cross-cultural experience, understanding and sensitivity.
- Experience managing and supervising staff.
- Excellent interpersonal and written and oral communication skills;
- Commitment to Save the Children values
How to Apply
Please send a copy of your CV with a cover letter to EA.firstname.lastname@example.org
Application closes 23rd March 2016 at 5:00pm.
We work with children, communities and governments all over the world and we believe in the right person for the job regardless of where you come from and how you identify yourself. We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to ensuring that only those who are suitable to work with children are considered for these posts. All successful applicants will therefore be required to complete a Police Check and must sign onto our Child Safeguarding Policy and organizational Code of Conduct.