Job Title: School Manager
Job Code: SM/WS/160308
Number of Positions Open: 1
Reports To: Board of Trustees
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Summary: The School Manager provides leadership to Nairobi Waldorf School and is accountable to the Board of Trustees.
The School Manager looks after the day-to-day business of the school and is develops school policies, procedures and business processes through a collaborative working relationship with School Committees, School Administration and the College of Teachers.
The School Manager works closely with the School Administrators on effective communication among the faculty and other School stakeholders, sits on the College of Teachers, the HR and Finance Committee, the Health, Safety, Security and Environment (HSSE) Committee and is a non-voting member of the Board of Trustees.
Strategic Plan Implementation
- Manage the implementation of the NWS strategic plan (strategic goals and objectives), including the annual operational plan, in collaboration with the College of Teachers (COT) and the Board of Trustees.
- Plan and manage change processes within the organisation.
- Develop and manage strategy implementation annual plans, tasks, timelines, milestones and deadlines.
- Coordinate work with Administration and the College of Teachers and monitoring and reporting on implementation status and issues.
- Assign tasks to staff and coordinate work in collaboration with Administration and the College of Teachers.
- Ensure that School Committees and Working Groups perform effectively.
- Disseminate the contents of the strategic plan in a manner that ensures that all implementers within the school understand its purpose, buy into its objectives and contribute towards achieving the desired results.
- Coordinate annual implementation plans that have concrete time and financial targets, in consultation with various School Committees and the Board.
- Coordinate the implementation of these plans amongst all stakeholders to ensure timely implantation within agreed budgetary levels.
- Plan and implement a monitoring and evaluation function to ensure that the Implementation plan stays on track and continues to work towards to goals outlined in the strategic plan.
- Plan and implement a monitoring and evaluation function to ensure that the schools function with fiscal discipline, in line with the Implementation Plan.
- Report to the Board in an agreed manner, on a timely basis and as needs be.
- Ensure that communication and consultation with Third parties and external organisations are entered into and maintained in order to strengthen interest in the School, in line with the strategic plan.
Quality and Professionalism of School Staff
- Responsible for overall strategic development and management of human resources.
- Develop a culture of collaboration in which all groups within the school community contribute to the achievement of shared goals of Steiner education.
- Work supportively with the College of Teachers (COT) to preserve and enhance the foundation, and identity of the school based on the Rudolf Steiner impulse.
- Support the COT to ensure the quality and integrity of schooling at NWS and progress towards alignment with the Waldorf Curriculum.
- Collaborate with the College of Teachers to develop and maintain curriculum standards and set performance goals and objectives for all teaching staff.
- Communicate effectively with the Teachers in matters of playgroup/kindergarten and primary administration and to ensure all school documentation (policies, curriculum outlines, teaching programmes, assessment procedures, student records…) are implemented, maintained and up-to-date and in accordance with the school procedures.
- Attend all COT meetings as a member of the College and liaise with College Chair.
- Responsible for all HSSE supervision and implementation. Takes the lead role in any crisis or emergency.
External Relations, Marketing and Raising the Profile of the School
- Ensure representation of the school at relevant meetings with external agencies, including government bodies, other schools, and the media and at official functions.
- Serve as contact person for other schools and organizations.
- Liaise with the relevant bodies and office admin while overseeing promotional activities, including promotional strategy, advertising, school tours, information sessions on Steiner education, Open Days etc.
- Responsible for editing and approving all mass communications to any audience.
- Actively represent Waldorf education to the Government and other official bodies
Organizational Systems and Communication
- Ensure effective communication and decision-making processes within the school.
- Maintain an open flow of communication with all constituencies in the school.
- Develop and foster relationships between all bodies, committees and individuals of the school.
- Acknowledge the views and expectations of parents for the personal, social, and educational welfare of their children.
- Responsible for effectively managing parent issues and complaints and directing parents to the appropriate individual or body.
- Participate in various School Committees, including Finance, Strategic Planning, External Communications and Marketing, Internal Communications, HSSE, Development Fund and Fundraising among others as necessary.
- Participate as a member of the College and attend College meetings and present reports to the College.
- Participate as a member of the Board of Trustees and presents monthly reports.
- Liaise with various bodies of the school to coordinate the calendar of events for the school year.
Long-Term Sustainability of the School
- Review and sign off on monthly and annual financials and creates and manages budgets
- Actively search for and implement methods to increase the revenue stream available for the Implementation of the Strategic Plan, in consultation with the Board.
- Oversee the fundraising strategy and the School Development Fund.
- Work together with the Board on long-term security of tenure, either through leasing or purchasing of land.
- Contribute to increasing the visibility of the school in Kenya.
- Develop strategic partnerships supporting the Strategic Plan implementation.
Qualifications, Training and Experience:
- Must have a minimum of 8+ years of strong operational experience: ideally has worked in a senior management role for 5+ years.
- Must have relevant experience and passion for Waldorf education.
- Demonstrated experience in financial planning and analysis.
- Skills should include organizational development, personnel management, budget and resource development, and strategic planning.
- Excellent people skills, with an ability to partner with a dynamic team.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to the mission of the School.
- Flexible and able to multi-task; can work within a multi-cultural, fast-moving environment, while driving toward clarity and solutions; demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding investment in people/systems.
- Preferred to have basic knowledge of legal and regulatory issues governing educational institutions and non-profits.
- Master’s Degree in Education, Business, Human Resources, or a related field preferred.
- Be well-organized and able to balance a large number of tasks.
- Bring projects to completion.
- Supervise others in a professional and collegial manner.
- Delegate responsibility appropriately.
- Identify areas where policy or programme development is needed, and work collaboratively with appropriate individuals to bring plans to fruition.
- Ability to analyze, interpret, summarize, and present data effectively.
- Ability to be an enthusiastic and articulate spokesperson for the School.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality where necessary.
- Be flexible and willing to do what is necessary to ensure the school operates effectively and efficiently.
- Proficiency with computer systems and standard software systems, such as word processing, spreadsheets, accounting, databases, and email.
- Experience with Quickbooks preferred.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates holding the necessary requirements, good performance and / or references are encouraged to apply with detailed CV’s, inclusive of names and contacts of 3 referees, current telephone number and email address by clicking on: School Manager
Kindly include your current and expected remuneration in your resume.