Education Effect Africa
Job Title: Project Assistant
Location: Mbita Sub-County, Homa Bay County, Kenya
Reports To: Project Officer
Salary Range: Commensurate to work experience and academic qualifications
Who We Are: Education Effect Africa (EEA) is a Kenyan non-governmental organization focused on providing children living in marginalized areas with high quality education.
Since our inception in 2013, Education Effect Africa has been working with disadvantaged communities living in informal settlements of Nairobi and rural areas of Central, Western and Nyanza regions of Kenya.
Education Effect Africa has been working in Mbita Sub County implementing ECD infrastructural and educational projects since 2014.
1. Enhancing access to and quality of education: We focus on sustained, intensive and quality teacher professional development alongside improving and increasing the physical infrastructure of schools. In addition, we also provide scholarships to bright but financially disadvantaged students in areas that we work.
2. Innovation in education: Education Effect Africa promotes active and experiential methods of teaching. We provide teachers and students from marginalized areas with modern sources of knowledge such as Internet resources, computers and educational software.
3. Bridging the digital divide: Access to digital technologies and the ability to benefit from new information and communication tools are a prerequisite of contemporary education. Education Effect Africa has been facilitating the launch of computer laboratories in marginalized areas of Kenya as well as offering ICT trainings to teachers and students.
4. Water, sanitation and health: Education Effect Africa is providing primary schools with hygienic toilets, clean sources of water and hand-washing facilities. Our trainers and facilitators assist the teachers in delivering effective health education classes to children in all grades of primary school.
Job Purpose: Education Effect Africa is actively seeking for a qualified and experienced Project Assistant who will be responsible for the successful delivery of School Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (SWASH) and Early Childhood Education (ECD) projects in Mbita Sub County.
Reporting to the Project Officer, the overall responsibility of the Project Assistant will be to provide project administration, management and technical support to the entire project team.
The Project Assistant will assist the Project Officer in:
1. Designing and planning project activities
- Developing project work plans and schedules
2. Establishing and maintaining collaboration with stakeholders
- Establishing and maintaining contact with project partner schools.
- Developing good working relationships, building capacity of and collaboration between various management organs of partner schools such as board of governors, school health committees, school management committees and parent teachers association in addressing the objectives of assigned projects.
- Preparing and disseminating formal correspondence, including drafting of correspondence on project related issues
- Collaborating with local offices of the Ministry of Education, other relevant ministries, local authorities such as area chief, village elders in ensuring buy in of the project in the project area
- Mobilizing the community of the project area in undertaking interventions towards projects’ objectives and fostering community contribution to the projects.
- Represent EEA at meetings, events, conferences, etc. with the relevant departments of Government Ministries and other stakeholders.
3. Coordination of assigned projects
- Day to day oversight of construction works and supervision of contractors in close coordination with the Project Officer and Project Engineer.
- Providing logistical support during trainings, follow up meetings and other events organized by EEA.
- Providing professional guidance and follow up of participants after trainings.
- Assisting the Project Officer in coordinating the work of consultants and other field staff.
- Facilitating the procurement process of recruiting local contractors and vendors including preparation of requests for quotations, invitation for bids or requests for proposals from the market.
- Daily coordination of procurement and delivery of material to field sites.
- Arrangement of travel and hotel reservations for project team.
- Ensure adherence to EEA procurement policies and guidelines.
5. Financial Management
- Management of project petty cash: overseeing petty cash transactions, preparing monthly petty cash summary reports and requisitions for petty cash imprest as and when they fall due.
- Maintain a proper filing system for finance records and documents and an inventory of project equipment.
- Facilitating the payment process of suppliers by compiling supporting documentation and data such as supplier invoices, approved quotations etc.
6. Maintain high quality documentation throughout the project life
- Preparing, disseminating and compiling of necessary project templates and documents.
- Ensuring timely filing of project documentation (both physical and electronic).
- Maintain a registry of project-related correspondence and progress as well as technical reports.
7. Monitoring and evaluation
- Assist in tracking, monitoring and evaluation of project status and related documentation.
- Compile, summarize and enter data on the project, draft related status reports.
8. Carry out other relevant duties as assigned by the Project Officer
Education, knowledge, technical skills, experience and desirable requirements
- Minimum of a diploma in project management, community development, construction management, public health or related field.
- Minimum of one year proven experience in project delivery in non-governmental organizations, preferably those working in the education sector.
- Proven work experience in managing construction works in donor funded projects.
- Excellent analytical, oral and written communication skills in English and Swahili. Ability to communicate in Dholuo will be an asset.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word-processing, e-mail, Excel)
Female applicants who are residents of Mbita will be given priority and are encouraged to apply.
Contract and Level of Involvement
- Full time, 8 months contract from 1st May 2016 – 31st December 2016. The 8 month contract is inclusive of a 1 month probation period. The contract is subject to extension depending on the performance of the successful candidate and availability of funds.
- Project Assistant will be based in our field offices in Mbita Sub-County, Homa Bay County.
How to Apply
All application letters together with detailed CVs including names of three referees and expected remuneration for the above advertised assignment should be addressed to
Education Effect Africa,
P.O. Box 52199-00100,
and sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
not later than 20th April 2016.
Please indicate clearly on the subject line of the email the position you are applying for.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Please consider your application unsuccessful if you don’t hear from Education Effect Africa after 6th May 2016.