Background: GVEP (Global Village Energy Partnership) International works to increase the effectiveness of energy product / service providers by supporting micro, small and medium enterprises to strengthen, expand and diversify their businesses, and improve their ability to raise capital and scale up.
Overall Purpose: The “Moving Energy Initiative” is a global initiative with a target of accelerating access to clean energy for over 60 million displaced people across the world.
With GVEP as the lead in the consortium, the Programme Manager – Moving Energy Initiative has the overall responsibility for programme leadership, including financial / budget management, reporting, planning and coordination of program activities both globally and in the countries where location-specific interventions are being implemented (Kenya, Burkina Faso and Jordan).
Duties and Responsibilities
- Planning, directing and co-ordinating multiple activities both globally and in three countries where pilot activities are being implemented (Kenya, Burkina Faso and Jordan)
- Directly lead GVEP MEI Programme staff
- Work with partners to coordinate project activities – coordinating multi-disciplinary project teams from the consortium members (UNHCR, NRC, GVEP International, Chatham House, Practical Action Consulting)
- Defining project scope, staffing, resources and the deliverables as well as formulating risk management plans.
- Managing the reporting and contract relationships with DFID on one hand, and with the project partners on the other
- Developing project plans scheduling of project timelines and scope.
- Coordinating multi-disciplinary project teams.
- Managing and controlling a multi-million Sterling pound budget
- Maintaining communication with (& managing expectations of) project stakeholders including government officials, other humanitarian agencies and private sector actors
- Leading monitoring, evaluation and research activities within the project – leading learning & quality assurance initiatives.
- External representation of the project including participation in media/publicity related events
- Regularly producing high quality reports/documents/articles to the donor(s) and external stakeholders
- Provide strategic guidance to team members and partners and is able to address unexpected challenges and issues effectively
- Ability to travel in country, regionally and internationally for short or longer period of times and sometimes on short notice
- Experience of senior project management, in a developing country context, preferably in East and West Africa with demonstrated capacity to manage large-scale projects effectively.
- At least 6 years experience of implementing donor-funded and/or technical projects
- Master level degree (preferably in engineering, environmental science, or business/economics/finance);
- Strong financial management skills, with proven experience managing large budgets, including accurate and timely reporting to donors
- Proven experience managing complex projects with a track record in delivery
- Comfort with the entrepreneurial culture of a fast growing organization in an ever-changing industry
- Experience of working with small businesses, and/or energy SMEs, and/or an understanding of renewable energy technologies and business models and/or of infrastructure management commercial arrangements is required.
- High level of inter-personal and presentation skills and an ability to communicate clearly and collaborate at a senior level with colleagues, SMEs, public agencies and other stakeholders;
- A can-do and collaborative mind set – comfort with the ambiguities and demands of a rapidly evolving environment.
- Experience of the humanitarian sector would be desirable
- Excellent written and analytical skills is crucial
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Excellent written and spoken English; Knowledge of French is a plus.
- Experience managing multiple projects and using tools such as MS Project for planning;
Please send your CV plus a cover letter (in English) outlining how your knowledge, skills and experience match the job specification to firstname.lastname@example.org to reach us by latest 10th May 2016.
GVEP International is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or disability.