Head of Agronomy
Responsible for planning, organizing, directing and controlling the agronomy function for a group of companies in East Africa.
Based in Kenya, the position will have regional responsibility for companies in Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda and any other countries the group initiates project activities in the region so as to optimize and develop synergies within the company’s operations across all the territories it operates in within the region.
- The position reports to the Chief Operating Officer (East Africa)
- The position will have accountabilityfor the personnel within the Agronomy Sector
- The incumbent will work closely with the General Managers of the project companies, the Sector Heads across the region and the senior management team at the company’s Head Office
The Head of Agronomy will be responsible for a wide variety of agronomic and irrigation functions related to the daily performance of farming projects in the agribusiness section of the company.
This incumbent will ensure that product development is aligned to the consumer needs and consequently the market needs.
The Head of Agronomy is also responsible for technical and safety training, completion of all services, gross margins, and reporting progress.
He is responsible for managing a portfolio of commercial agronomy accounts and maintaining them at a high level of operation.
He will manage agronomy training for all team members.
- Responsible for the company’s food sector companies in planning and implementation of all Agro activities. This will include development of budgets for existing projects and monitoring their implementation to ensure targets are met.
- Work with Operations Management team to develop a roadmap for building agronomic decision support tools.
- Integrate diverse data sets together to build statistical models to support grower’s biggest agricultural decisions, such as the right crop on the right field with the right inputs.
- Support food sector companies,’ project teams and management in preparation of management reports, board papers and other reports.
- Improve/develop the capacity of project staff/farmers’ associations to identify sustainable agro-based economic opportunities and understand and implement a demand-driven, commercialisation approach to rural development based on access to markets.
- Identify and assist in coordinating relevant workshops in agricultural marketing issues for project staff and project beneficiaries
- Develop or facilitate training modules for project staff related to the key decisionmaking tools for market analysis and program intervention design, including:
- Value chain analysis
- Participatory needs assessment
- Participatory action planning
- Sub-sector analysis
- Provide technical capacity to programme beneficiaries to improve their understanding of business-related concepts in seeds companies development such as: factors of production; costs of production; quality control/market standards; opportunity cost; gross margin and profit analysis; return on investment; credit/budgeting; and risk
- Ensure availability of training materials, guide and manuals
- Provide support and guidance to the Unit Managers to develop, review, oversee and review project strategy and activities related to the implementation of the project according to the project proposal
- Assist the Unit managers to develop appropriate criteria and a suitable delivery mechanism for the facilitation of adequate investment and training in farm and nonfarm enterprises
- Provide technical assistance for the design of the project’s monitoring and evaluation strategy
- Maintain working relations with relevant government line ministries and private sector/research institutions to coordinate the adoption of new products and/or approaches in agriculture development and marketing
- Minimum qualification of a university degree in agriculture and related disciplines. A Master’s degree in agricultural economics, marketing or business administration, or related field will be an advantage.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience at senior management in agriculture/ agro-business development, preferably in farm planning and economic analysis.
- Familiarity with commonly used tools for market analysis and program design such as sub-sector analysis, gross margin analysis and business planning
- Experience with community-based programming
- Experience in small to medium scale agro-enterprise management
- Excellent analytical ability and discipline; ability to think clearly, structure problems logically and then design and implement solutions that focus on the core issues
- Ability to build strong relationships with partners, counterparts and colleagues
- Excellent presentation skills; ability to communicate clearly and effectively with diverse audiences
- Ability to operate efficiently in a changing context.
Applications together with detailed Curriculum Vitae, names of three referees, telephone contact, e-mail address and copies of certificates and testimonials should be sent to the, Recruitment & Executive Selection, Sublime management Consulting Ltd through email to firstname.lastname@example.org