Human Needs Project
Job Title: Training Academy Director
About Human Needs Project: Our overriding objective is to provide basic services (clean water, sanitation and energy) and empowerment services (business skills training, microcredit, internet connectivity, health kiosk, and an eco-shop) to slums around the world through the creation of replicable, self-sustaining Town Centers.
These services are designed to be synergistic, creating economic growth while providing sufficient income for Town Centers to maintain and manage themselves as a co-op structure.
HNP is dedicated to building self sustainable centers that will prosper far into the future by working in complete partnership with locals to find the best solutions for the unique challenges we encounter in each center location.
Reports to: General Manager, Partnerships Director and Executive Director
Job purpose: The KTC Training Academy focuses on vocational, digital skills and entertainment arts.
Create and manage a Training Academy that prepares Kiberans for jobs and entrepreneurial possibilities in these fields and also earns a vital income stream for the KTC.
In consultation with KTC and HNP senior team, create a vision for how to build the KTC Academy, using existing resources and working with collaborators where possible.
Design Training for Jobs Pipeline
- Works with Partnerships Director to forming relationships with key industrial players so that KTC graduates will have the skills—both soft and technical—to obtain jobs. Moreover, KTC graduates should be so outstanding that eventually companies pay KTC a fee to run the academy and provide pipeline of skilled workers.
- Oversees the development of appropriate curriculum which ensures KTC graduates have the skills—both soft and technical—to be prepared for jobs.
- Ensures that the trainers are skilled in both material and delivery.
- Ensures that trainers have supplies and resources necessary to deliver curriculum.
- Measures education quality both by observing trainers in the classroom and by monitoring student performance on tests and by using other assessment tools.
- Provides coaching and training to KTC training managers so that they become top-notched trainers.
- Determine which training courses can be carried out in-house and which require technical expertise outside of HNP.
- Ascertains if win/win partnerships can be created with other collaborators to provide key aspects of training.
- For courses where outside trainers are needed:
- Recruits, hires, schedules and supervises trainers and their work.
- Perform quality control in review of training.
- Maintains records of students: recruitment, progress, exams, certifications, post-course employment.
- Resolves problems associated with students and trainers.
- Creates and executes business plans for the Training Academy, establishing annual budgets and overseeing expenditures, so that first the Training Academy becomes financially self-reliant and then a source of revenue for the KTC.
- Compliance: Review and update policies and procedures to ensure that they comply with national, state and local regulations.
- Reports frequently to head office staff and board about training plans and courses.
- Looks for appropriate success stories and creates narratives about them—with photos and/or videos—for HNP communication stream.
- Ensures good understanding of HNP policies, guidelines and SOPs and ensures that they are enforced at all times.
- Builds HNP and KTC image by creating and maintaining effective relationships with all collaborators, including customers, local community members, community organizations, government, academics, actual and potential collaborators, donors and board members, and staff.
- Communicates values of Human Needs Project and the Kibera Town Center in all relationships, and ensure those values are upheld at all times. Cultivates an atmosphere of respect, trust and cooperation.
- Contributes to team effort as needed and communicates on a regular basis with Senior Management Team and HNP-USA as well as other stakeholders.
- BA/BS Bachelor in Education or above, or significant equivalent leadership experience, in a relevant subject.
- Masters program in a related field will be an added advantage
- Over 5 years experience in management of a college/ higher learning institution with a bias in vocational training
- Extensive and varied experience in a senior management role in a learning and development function, preferably from a variety of sectors.
- Proven results in establishing new learning initiatives and programs including governance, policies, processes, and procedures to a variety of audiences.
- Project management of large scale learning initiatives. Expert in Instructional Design and Curriculum development using newer methods and tools including e-learning, virtual classroom, knowledge sharing, social learning tools, and mobile learning will be an added advantage
- Demonstrable experience of developing and delivering learning solutions on a global scale, with an advanced operational understanding of contextualizing activities.
Please send us a copy of your C.V and a 1 page cover letter to the email address email@example.com with subject line Training Academy Director by 22nd April 2016