The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation with the exclusively humanitarian mission to protect the lives and dignity of victims of war and internal violence and to provide them with assistance.
It also endeavours to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening International Humanitarian Law and universal humanitarian principles.
The ICRC’s Regional Delegation in Nairobi co-ordinates the institution’s humanitarian activities in Kenya, Tanzania and Djibouti.
It also runs regional specialist units that provide support and expertise to the ICRC’s delegations in East Africa, the Great Lakes region and the Horn of Africa.
Deputy Head of Security
(Position open to Kenyan Nationals)
ICRC is seeking to engage a trustable and reliable candidate to join its security unit at Nairobi, Regional Delegation, demonstrating following qualities;
- A proactive individual with high level of integrity.
- Sound and verifiable security background with related experience in the humanitarian sector.
- Experience in military and police would be an added advantage.
This position reports to the Head of Security and given the nature of the job, role requires the candidate to exhibit the following;
- Extensive knowledge of the area with an ability to analyse situations.
- Ability to work under pressure and at irregular hours.
- Ability to efficiently respond to emergencies.
- Ability to liaise with police and other law enforcing agencies.
- Ability to confidently represent ICRC in court cases.
- Under the supervision of Head of Security assist in implementing security rules.
- Monitor and ensure unit’s preparedness to respond to security situations at ICRC delegation and residences.
- Ensure serviceability of security surveillance equipment and firefighting equipment through regular controls and periodic testing.
- Participate in investigations, relating to fraud, accidents, loss of ICRC property and develop necessary reports.
- Carry out security admin duties in the unit and any additional tasks as instructed by the management.
- Collect security related information and ensure its timely dissemination.
- Supervise security officers and officiating as Head of Security in his absence
- University degree.
- Diploma in criminal investigations or related studies and trainings.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in the forces, having attained a supervisory rank or 10 years of experience in a similar function in a humanitarian organization (INGO or corporate entity).
- Computer literate.
- Valid driving license (for manual and automatic transmission).
- Verifiable certificate of good conduct.
Interested persons with the required background and experience are invited to submit their application to; Human Resource Office on the address or e-mail below, before 29th April 2016.
Please include a detailed Curriculum Vitae, Application letter, copies of certificates, current and expected remuneration and contact details of three referees.
(Indicate the position title on the subject line).
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
International Committee of the Red Cross,
Nairobi Regional Delegation, Denis Pritt Road,
P.O. Box 73226, Nairobi, 00200,