International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Position Title: Nurse
Vacancy No: IOMKE/SVN/047/2016
Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade G4
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: May 01, 2016
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners.
IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Context: Under the technical supervision of the Regional Health Assessments Coordinator for Sub-Saharan Africa, direct technical supervision of the National Health Migration Physician in charge of TB, and in coordination with the Head, Migration Health Assessment Center, the incumbent will work closely with government counterparts and partner agencies to develop and implement components of the MRF Nairobi Migrant Health Programme, with geographical focus on Kenya.
The incumbent is assigned to different MHD Units in Nairobi such as – MHAC, UK Tuberculosis Program in Nairobi Hospital (UKTB), and the Transit Center (TC) and other locations within Nairobi as may be identified.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Perform registration and daily observed Tuberculosis (TB) treatment for all TB patients at the IOM Migration Assessment Centre (MHAC) in Nairobi as per set procedures and consistent with the National TB program.
- Support the daily running of the IOM DOT Clinic in Nairobi.
- Assist in the timely follow up of tests and examinations for all patients on TB treatment in Nairobi.
- Maintain and update the TB treatment work up Module on MiMOSA for all TB cases in Nairobi.
- Authenticates the identity of patients prior to administration of treatment.
- Record treatment in the necessary records and reporting tools including the TB4 register.
- In coordination with the TB Unit In-Charge, requests and re-stocks required medical supplies and drugs and medicines.
- Monitors and reports expiration dates of drugs and medicines including the emergency kit and refers to TB Unit In-Charge for disposal.
- Compiles medical records, files, charts, X-ray films, laboratory results prior to Monthly clinical review of patients on TB treatment and prepares, install or sterilizes medical equipment needed for medical examination.
- Takes vital signs, weight, visual acuity and perform color discrimination testing prior to monthly clinical review of patients on TB treatment.
- Maintains confidentiality of information and collaborative relationship with patients, partners and health professionals.
- Maintain an updated consolidated excel sheet summary of all Tb cases in Kenya.
- In liaison with TB Unit In-charge, perform contact evaluation and defaulter tracing of all TB patients in the IOM DOT Clinic in Nairobi.
- In liaison with the TB Unit In-Charge, allocate weight based treatment regimens ensuring appropriate regimens and dosages are administered in accordance to laid down Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in IOM and consistent with the National TB Program guidelines.
- Help in filling out treatment completion certificates at the end of each patient’s treatment
- Ensure general cleanliness of the TB DOT Clinic.
- Support MHAC activities as and when needed or requested.
- Assist in medical escort duties when needed or requested.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Diploma in Nursing and registration with the Nursing Council of Kenya as a Registered Nurse with 2 years of relevant work experience or High-school Degree with four years of relevant work experience
- Experience in clinical work.
- At least three years in handling and following up medical documents as a senior staff.
- Proven ability to coordinate work of others, within and outside IOM.
- Work experience in an international organization preferred.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Training and experience in TB, STDs, HIV/AIDS counseling and other communicable diseases is considered asset.
- Working knowledge of Mimosa and other medical database systems.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain accuracy and confidentiality in performing responsibilities.
- Computer literate on Microsoft word and excel
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili is required.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Submit cover letter and CV, including daytime telephone and e-mail contact to:
International Organization for Migration (IOM),
Human Resources Department,
P.O. Box 55040 – 00200,
or send via e-mail to email@example.com.
Closing Date: 01 May, 2016
Only Shortlisted Applicants will be contacted.
NO FEE: The International Organization for Migration (IOM) does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, process or training). IOM does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank details.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.