Jhpiego, an affiliate of the Johns Hopkins University, is an international NGO committed to improving the health of women and their families.
Jhpiego-Kenya works in close collaboration with both the Ministry of Health at National level and with County Governments in the areas of HIV/AIDS, Malaria, TB, Maternal, Newborn and Child Health, Reproductive Health, Family Planning and Non-Communicable Diseases.
Jhpiego-Kenya is currently recruiting an experienced individual with excellent leadership, organizational and technical skills; who is a team player, dedicated, hardworking, innovative, highly motivated and able to work in a high pressure environment requiring multi-tasking abilities.
Reporting to the Senior Advocacy Advisor, the Media Coordinator will lead media engagement strategies to support Jhpiego’s Advance Family Planning (AFP) initiative and complement AFP and stakeholders’ family planning advocacy efforts.
AFP is an evidence-based advocacy initiative for policy development and increased budgetary allocation for family planning (FP) in support of the goals of the Family Planning 2020 partnership.
The Media Coordinator will deploy media strategies that will generate and sustain dialogue on family planning with a view to enhance prioritization and influence county and national discourse and actions & in turn help shape regional and global family planning conversations and interventions.
- Identify opportunities to use the media in advancing family planning advocacy efforts
- Lead media focused advocacy efforts, including development and implementation of a media advocacy work plan
- Document advocacy interventions, stories or breaking news by AFP and both state and non-state actors collectively working with AFP to advance FP2020 goal
- Liaise with the media agencies and networks to advance family planning dialogue and coverage
- Engage with national and county family planning working groups and government leadership at the two levels to enhance media focused advocacy efforts as well as document relevant stories and news
- Liaise with family planning actors at national and county levels including FP2020 focal points to amplify voices and diffuse advocacy experiences and best practices towards achievement of the FP2020 goal
- Strengthen capacity of family planning advocates in the use of media and documentation of advocacy stories and news
- Enhance appreciation of family planning among editors of the various select media outlets
- Degree in communication or related field. Advance degree will be an added advantage
- At least five years’ work experience in established media outlets
- Proven ability in documenting development stories in health, preferably in reproductive health and family planning.
- Experience in the use of print, electronic and social media
- Strong networking skills especially within the media fraternity
- Demonstrated skills in training, convening and building relationships among diverse audiences
- Experience in photography and editing
- Well acquainted with the health sector landscape in Kenya
- Excellent interpersonal skills with pleasant and outgoing personality
- Excellent verbal, written communications and presentation skills
- Computer literacy, particularly in the use of MS Office
Interested applicants should send a CV with three referees and detailed cover letter to the following email address: HR.Kenya@jhpiego.org by 22nd April 2016.
Please indicate how your education and experience qualifies you for the position.
Only those selected for interview will be contacted.
Jhpiego is an equal opportunity employer.
Persons with disabilities and other minority groups are encouraged to apply