Position Title: Director, MEL and Strategic Learning
Duty Station: Kenya
The AgriFin Accelerate Program will operate in three African countries (Kenya, Tanzania and Zambia) utilizing a market ecosystem approach, working with carefully selected partners to build sustainable models, where farm and crop management tools and financial services are “bundled” in affordable, unified platforms on mobile phone channels to promote mass uptake commercially.
The program involves three interrelated components that seek to address low farmer productivity and capability, and improve institutional ability to deliver appropriate products and build ecosystems to drive scale.
We work with farmers, banks, mobile network operators, MFIs, research institutes and other ecosystem players in well-defined partnerships to sustainably bundle services, leveraging the offer and outreach of all partners, while increasing the range of services, access points and value for farmers.
The program works with partners to identify, prototype, test and scale successful mobile-enabled services for smallholders, with a key focus on expanding access to financial services, using a rapid iteration approach to product development and client-centric design techniques
Mercy Corps seeks to recruit a dynamic, energetic and innovative Director, MEL and Strategic Learning.
General Position Summary: The Director MEL and Strategic Learning is a key position in the AgriFin Accelerate program responsible for cross-cutting programmatic information management, monitoring and evaluation, ensuring that information collected is reflected upon, used to improve ongoing program implementation and sectoral learning, and is incorporated into consistently high quality reports and communications products.
More than just measuring results, the program’s M&E system will be an integral part of project planning and allow strategic and informed management of interventions across Kenya, Tanzania and Zambia.
The Director MEL and Strategic Learning will provide team leadership related to project development and learning, as well as learning management.
Based on program deliverables, the Director MEL and Strategic Learning cohesively represents the multi-country program to relevant stakeholders and other organizations / institutions through a variety of different channels.
Given the program’s objectives of facilitating sustainable systemic change in the market system, measuring high-level results alone is not sufficient. It is also necessary to understand the processes which lead to the end impact.
This requires an ongoing monitoring process that can measure indicators along the results chain of the program.
In addition, the position holder is responsible for ensuring that the reports are timely and of a high quality, as well as overseeing and building the capacity of related staff.
Knowledge and Experience:
- At least 10 years’ proven experience in monitoring and evaluation tied to development programming. Strong inclination toward economic development and technology-enabled programming a plus
- Strong demonstrable understanding of burgeoning trends and ideas in the M&E field
- MA/S or equivalent in Social Science, Management, International Development preferred
- Experience with mobile data systems and platforms
- Extensive experience designing, developing and implementing M&E systems, including data management platforms, data collection tools, survey design, evaluations, etc.
- Proven experience using monitoring data and feedback loops to regularly reflect, iterate and improve programs
- Must have extensive experience working with a variety of donors, preferably in Africa and strong demonstrated writing, presentation and communications ability, with clear experience in use of social networking and other digital channels
- History of working effectively and respectfully with host country government, INGO and NGO partners
- Demonstrated ability to support complex programming and meet tight deadlines
- Experience living and working in East Africa region is preferred
- Fluency in written and spoken English essential
For the full job description and application procedure visit: http://bit.ly/1SumoOb
Deadline for applications is 15th May, 2016.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.