About us: For over 90 years, Save the Children has been making a difference in children’s lives in more than 120 countries.
are the world’s largest independent child rights organization,
underpinned by a vision in a world in which every child attains the
right to survival, protection, development and participation.
mission to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children,
and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
the Children is an organization for talented people with different
backgrounds and perspectives. We are proud that our people are
representative of the children we work with and we thrive on our
dedicated to our core values of Accountability, Ambition, Collaboration,
Creativity and Integrity. Our culture is embedded in these values,
along with a strong commitment to our Child Safeguarding Protocol,
ensuring that all representatives of
Save the Children Eastern and Southern Africa Regional Office is looking to recruit for the following position:
Child Safeguarding: Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
Role Purpose: As part of the Support services finance team you will be responsible for providing financial management (accounting, payroll and reporting) support to the East and Southern Africa Regional Office (ESARO).
This position is also responsible for the monthly processes and finance reports for the regional office. This includes maintaining the strongest financial controls, keeping approved documentation (receipts, bank transactions, vouchers) on file, recording transactions according to SCI guidelines, producing monthly reports as required, and assuring adequate cash flow for the regional office.
This position will, as required, assist the regional finance team to review submitted country office reports to ensure accurate reporting and compliance with financial controls and standards, assist in performing analysis and participate in achieving the department’s goals.
Scope of Role:
The East & Southern Africa Regional office currently hosts slightly over 100 personnel. This role focuses on Financial Management for the ESARO regional office.
Staff directly reporting to this post: None
Regional Office Finance
- Prepares monthly Cash Forecasts, liaising with all departments on their cash needs within the set deadlines.
- Assists with Bank reconciliations.
- Records income tax obligations in the KRA itax system.
- Prepares Terminal Grant Provisions Monthly
- Prepares General Ledger and Cash Offline Spreadsheet for posting in the financial system.
- Data Management in the Finance System
- Performs single account/balance sheet account reconciliations on a weekly basis, preparing schedules for review by the Finance Coordinator and the Head of Support Services.
- Prepares Advances A/ging reports.
- Prepares cross charges to SC members and SCI country offices on a weekly basis and reallocations for authorisation.
- Prepares adjustments and reallocation Journals.
- Cooperates and assists with audit requirements.
- Ensures compliance with SCI rules and regulation in day to day execution of duties
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- Support to regional finance team with reporting and analysis or country financial information and returns as required.
- holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, and achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale
- builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members, external partners and supporters
- values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting/finance or equivalent. Professional Accounting qualification a must.
- At least 3 years’ experience working in accounting (not-for-profit accounting preferred)
- Computer fluency; highly competent using Microsoft Excel and other MS applications.
- Familiarity with computerised accounting systems
- Ability to gather facts and data, scrutinise with ease, determine a logical solution and resolve issues with minimal supervision.
- Proven ability to handle challenging workload.
- The highest level of integrity and commitment to prevent corruption.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact with all departments in the Regional.
- Willingness to undertake occasional travel to the Country Offices for training, support and
- Experience working with colleagues based in complex country contexts would be an asset.
- Local or international accounting qualification (completed or part-completed) desired.
Please send a copy of your CV with a cover letter to EA.firstname.lastname@example.org
Application closes 11th May 2016 at 5:00pm.
work with children, communities and governments all over the world and
we believe in the right person for the job regardless of where you come
from and how you identify yourself.
children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to
ensuring that only those who are suitable to work with children are
considered for these posts.
will therefore be required to complete a Police Check and must sign onto
our Child Safeguarding Policy and organizational Code of Conduct.