It focuses on Livestock, food security and Livelihoods, Natural Resources Management, Peace and Conflict, Good governance, Disasters & Emergency, and Agriculture, marketing, but also with developing the capacity of communities and governmental institutions or initiating peace and conflict resolution we work towards food security and strengthened livelihoods of pastoralist communities.
Purpose of the Position: The purpose and role of the Consortium Coordinator is to ensure effective implementation and coordination of SPERC-NK project consortium funded by ECHO.
Location of work: 50% of time based in Nairobi and 50% in the field
Coordinate SPERC-NK consortium partners in the implementation of the proposed project target areas in Marsabit County
- Responsible for day-to-day management of project activities
- Ensure that all 3 partners are on-track in the implementation of their activities. Therefore is the link, on day-to-day basis with the teams implementing the project activities
- Follow up grant management (on-budget, on-scope, on-time)
- Prepare partnership agreements and ensure they are compliant with donor and VSFG guidelines.
- Technical backstopping and support to all project partners to ensure smooth implementation and compliance to agreed principles and guidelines.
- Regularly meet with consortium members for planning and tracking the progress of project implementation.
- Participate in coordination forums at National level with PMC and PSC
- Maintain regular and good working contact with other NGOs and government officials with an aim to serve a network for coordination of information.
- Support preparation/consolidation of Consortium project forecasts and working documents received from Consortium members:-financial, logistical, HR and Programming information.
- Support the VSF G program manager in consolidating and following up on the logistic matters arising from the field as well as inventory report updates.
- Be part of VSFG team for security monitoring and ensure the staff comply with security protocol and work in a secure environment.
- Support Consortium partners in field action planning and development of activity work plans in accordance to the project design
- Monitor the progress of projects and report to the PMC and PSC including frequent visits to project areas and communities within the assigned area.
- Support consortium partners implement, and report progress towards expected results against components sub-granted
- Identify project implementation gaps and opportunities for capacity building of project consortium partners.
- Timely compilation and submission of project reports as required by the donor.
- Liaison with donor for required project update (organizing field mission, small update, etc)
- Responding to correspondences from donor and consortium partners in consultation with Country Programme Coordinators.
- Provision of relevant data and information to feed into regional programmes monitoring framework.
- Conduct need assessment in target areas, draft concept notes and activities to add up to full proposals development
- Develop relationships with local organizations, partners and communities to assess effectiveness of on-going projects and to identify possibilities for new project and funding.
- Promptness in attending to any matters concerning Kenya programmes that contribute to the mission of VSFG and the Consortium.
- Country programmes manager (Supervisor): Strategic /operational guidance coordination.
- Regional programmes Coordinator: Strategic/operational guidance.
- Program liaison officer: Operational guidance coordination.
- HR department at RoN: Liaison, joint planning, guidance and collaboration.
- Finance department RoN: Liaison, joint planning and collaboration.
- M&E Officer: Joint planning, Liaison, and collaboration
- Internal Auditor: Joint planning, Liaison, and collaboration
- Logistic RoN: Consultations, strategic/operational guidance and joint planning of Marsabit and Turkana supplies in liaison with Project Managers.
- Key Local, regional (Marsabit, Turkana, Mandera, Isiolo and Samburu Counties) and national Stakeholders: Coordination, representation, networking, continuous communication and influence / advocacy building.
- Appropriate qualification at Degree level, such as Public management, Development administration, Rural Development, Disaster Management, Natural Resource Management, Agriculture or a relevant social science. A background in climate and environment, policy related programming and working in similar contexts are desired and a distinct advantage for candidates.
- Proven experience (at least 5 years) in senior programme management and leadership positions working with INGO’s, NGOs, CBOs, national governments, other civil society groups or private sector.
- Proven experience of working in or managing a consortium model of working
- Working knowledge and experience with major international donors, particularly ECHO, is an added advantage.
- Strong coordination skills specifically with the ability to effectively coordinate among consortium partners.
- Ability to build and maintain effective relationships with senior representatives of INGO and Government structures and to represent the consortium at national level fora.
- Must have outstanding oral and written communications skills and relationship skills.
- Strong analytical, interpersonal, communication and organization skills.
- Thorough understanding of gender, equality and protection issues.
- Strong experience of financial management and donor compliance processes.
- Experience in the design and use of monitoring and evaluation systems.
- Knowledge of the key tools used by donor agencies, such as logical frame works, results chains, results-based management and financial administration systems.
- Knowledge and experience of working with pastoral communities on the resilience agenda.
- Ability to work and travel within the project locations.
- Must be willing to perform other duties as required in furtherance of Consortium agenda.
- An understanding of accountability as applied within humanitarian and development programming.
- An understanding of programme participant protection policies and international humanitarian standards and how to apply these across a range of international actors.
- Nairobi based with frequent travel to project/activity locations; Marsabit, Turkana, Mandera, Isiolo and Samburu Counties.
- The incumbent may be required to spend 50% of working time visiting activity locations in the field.
- Available to represent VSFG and the consortium at critical functions and moments as needed;
- On call to serve on emergency and crisis response team and;
- Available to serve on other teams and working groups as requested by the consortium.