World Food Programme
Vacancy Announcement No: RBN/005/2016
Knowledge Management Officer
Grade: Service Contract, SC9 (NOB equivalent)
Duty Station: WFP Regional Bureau for East & Central Africa, Nairobi
Salary: As per UN Service Contract Salary Bands
This vacancy is open to both male and female candidates.
Qualified female applicants are encouraged to apply.
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide.
We are seeking to fill the position of Knowledge Management Officer in support of the Regional Bureau office, based in Nairobi, Kenya.
The Regional Bureau provides strategic guidance, policy/technical support and direction to WFP operations and activities in nine countries: Burundi, Djibouti, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, South Sudan and Uganda.
Accountabilities: Under the direct supervision of the Regional Programme Officer and the overall guidance of the Regional Director and the Senior Regional Programme Advisor, the Knowledge Management Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Develop or coordinate the development of internal products, for improved programme design and implementation, and external products, to demonstrate the role of WFP in addressing food insecurity and nutrition.
- Coordinate the annual Standard Project Reporting (SPR) process, in collaboration with HQ teams and Country Offices in the region.
- Coordination with country offices and with other regional bureau teams, and also strengthen country offices’ capacity to make better use of information;
- Provide crosscutting analysis related to WFP’s work in the RBN region, particularly with regard to high profile emergency operations and innovative project activities, in collaboration with RBN management;
- Coordinate the annual RBN Standard Project Reporting (SPR) process to ensure high-quality, timely reporting to donors on results achieved and resources used;
- Collaborate with technical units in RBN Regional Bureau and Country Offices such as M&E, Vulnerability Assessment and Mapping (VAM), programme and supply chain to develop an evidence base for WFP impact in the region;
- Based on documented evidence, develop information and knowledge products in collaboration with partnerships, public information and reports that demonstrate the role of WFP in addressing food insecurity and nutrition, and in mainstreaming gender, accountability to affected populations and protection, across RBN Country Offices;
- Support Country Offices in the region organise, package, utilise and disseminate relevant information to inform programme design and implementation and for external audiences;
- Collect lessons learned, best practices and proven innovations in programme design, implementation, monitoring and reporting as well as other WFP business processes from Country Offices, Regional Bureaux and Headquarters, and disseminate them within the region;
- Monitor, collate and disseminate information from leading think tanks, academic institutions, regional organizations, such as IGAD and the AU, as well as International Organizations, including the UN Secretariat, OCHA end the World Bank;
- Monitor and review regular sources of information and data from Country Offices required for the regular updating of information and knowledge products, e.g., M&E reports, VAM assessments, evaluations, national food statistics reports, and cluster data;
- Support with audit preparations for CO/RB; and
- Perform other related duties, as required.
- Well written and well-presented analytical information products;
- Stronger capacity of the regional bureau and of country offices to incorporate existing information into programme design and implementation;
- Quality and timely submission to HQ of the annual Standard Project Reports;
- Lessons learned and recent advances in relevant areas collected and disseminated in an user friendly format;
- Streamlined information management processes in the regional bureau;
- Well-managed projects.
Qualifications and Experience
Education: Advanced University degree with course work in communication, economics, international relations, development, government, or other related fields, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training / courses.
Experience: At three years of progressively responsible professional experience in knowledge management or related field. Experience working in the international development / humanitarian sector an advantage.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English;
- Good analytical skills, resourcefulness, initiative, maturity of judgement, tact;
- Proven ability to coordinate projects across units;
- Capacity to produce high quality products when working under pressure and with competing deadlines;
- Ability to adjust own communication style to different internal and external audiences and purposes;
- Ability to work in a team and establish effective working relations with persons of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- High capacity for organization and coordination, as well as an ability to work with a high degree of independence in a team environment;
- A willingness to travel to remote areas; ability to cope with situations which may threaten health or safety; flexibility in accepting work assignments outside normal desk description.
Language: Fluency (level C) in English language.
- Training and/or experience using MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint and outlook.
- Knowledge of graphic design and multimedia communication tools an advantage.
- Specialized technical background in quantitative analysis, such as statistics and econometrics an advantage.
- Fluency in French.
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit online applications ONLY, according to the following procedures:
Go to: http://i-recruitment.wfp.org/vacancies/16-0020973
Step 1: Create your online CV
Step 2: Click on “Description” to read the position requirements and “Apply” to submit your application.
NOTE: You must complete Step 2 in order for your application to be considered for this vacancy.
Deadline for applications: 08 May 2016.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
If you have any queries relating to this VA please send them to: firstname.lastname@example.org
WFP does not charge fees at any stage during the recruitment process.
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.