Job Title: Advocate’s Clerk
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Advocate in charge, the position holder will be responsible for the following duties:-
- Filing pleadings and other court documents
- Fixing hearing dates in litigation matters.
- Drafting Legal documents under the supervision of the Legal Counsel such as Bills of Costs, Orders, Applications for Executions, Certificates
- Process Service of documents.
- Assisting the Advocates in preparation and attendance to court matters.
- preparing, filing and forwarding documents and case files to court, lawyers and clients
- Organize and manage the filing system and in-house file registry.
- Complete banking transactions if need be.
- Communicate with customers, employees, and other individuals to answer questions, disseminate or explain information, take orders and address complains that are under his authority
- Maintain legal forms
- Manage routine correspondence and enquiries.
- Carry out research as required.
- Ensure the team of advocates has all the relevant information and documentation as required.
- Submit files for signature.
- Attend court hearings and trials to record information and to ask for Advocates to hold brief for the firm.
- Facilitating service of Legal documents
- Providing any other Clerical services that may be required by the Advocates.
- Undertake clerical processes involved in coveyancing.
- Undertake clerical duties required in the various registries and tribunals.
Minimum Qualifications and Skills
- Must have competed secondary school education
- Must have at least 3 years’ experience in a busy legal firm dealing in litigation, conveyancing, commercial law transactions.
- Demonstrable knowledge in the workings of a legal office, Civil Procedure Rules.
- Knowledge and experience in conveyancing, commercial law transactions and civil litigation
- Must be in possession of a current Process Server’s Certificate.
- A diploma in law is an added advantage.
- Must be self-motivated and able to work with minimum supervision
- Have good interpersonal relations.
- Must be computer literate.
- Able to travel on short notice.
- Ability to handle pressure
If you believe you are the right candidate, please email your application letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before Tuesday 31st May 2016.
Due to the volume of applications we shall receive, we shall contact only the shortlisted candidates.