Aga Khan University is looking for an experienced communications professional and leader who is motivated by our mission to provide world-class quality higher education and healthcare throughout East Africa.
AKU is an international private university that has been active in East Africa for more than 15 years, educating graduates who are prepared for leadership and committed to service, and who aspire to make a difference in others’ lives.
Regional Communications Director
Position summary: This position will ensure that external and internal communications is supported in all aspects of the University in East Africa, including all academic units in Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania.
He/she will also coordinate communication for the hospitals in collaboration with CEO or designee as needed.
Highlights of responsibilities / duties;
- Manage and develop a communications team.
- Develop communications operating plans.
- Create and lead a media relations plan.
- Write and edit communications materials including briefings, media releases and pitches, fact sheets, website and social media content.
- Participate in creative development and design of materials.
- Manage all aspects of internal and external communications for special events.
- Ensure that communications policies and processes are followed, and that communications systems are used properly.
- A Master’s Degree from a reputable institution, preferably in mass communications, public affairs, marketing or related field.
- At least seven (7) years of experience in corporate communications, media relations or not-for-profit/development communications.
- Proven ability to build consensus around communications approaches and materials.
- Experience and connections with the East African media outlets.
- Superior writing and editing ability in English and preferably also Swahili.
Applicants meeting the above requirements should forward their detailed resume, with names and addresses of at least three referees familiar with their recent work to email@example.com and mention the position applied for in the subject line by 3rd June, 2016.