Over the past 15 years, Carolina for Kibera has pioneered a low-cost, high-impact model of participatory development program development and built a brand that is recognised locally, nationally and internationally.
CFK is ready to accelerate its growth, launching new initiatives to respond to burgeoning needs and securing a financial foundation for CFK’s long-term commitment to the Kibera Community.
They are looking for dynamic hands on leader to serve as Director of Programmes and Fundraising.
Reporting to: Executive Director
Probationary Period: 6 Months
Key Result Areas
1. Strategic Planning, Policy and Review
- Take a lead role in the process of developing and reviewing programme strategies, thematic plans and annual plans for the Health, Economic and social services departments.
- Contribute to country programme’s advocacy initiatives through impart lessons gained from programmes and projects.
- Keep abreast with and contribute to CFK on global initiatives and global trends pertaining to the sectors and wherever possible, apply them in CFK policy and advocacy efforts.
- Identify and research debates on key policy objectives/issues and help develop the organizations’ understanding on these issues, leading policy analysis at the national level with respect to prevention of violence, poverty alleviation, reproductive health, education programmes, job creation initiatives among others
- Identify key opportunities for expanding CFK work in the sector
2. Programme Development and Provision of Technical Assistance
- Lead in the development of project proposals for the sectors of Health, Economic and social services department within the framework of the Country strategy and global initiatives and ensure the participation of Finance, HR and Operations departments in this process from an early stage.
- Ensure security concerns are taken into full account in developing proposals and that a detailed security assessment is made of all proposed new areas of work.
- Ensure that all reports prepared by field staff for donors and other external parties are carefully reviewed and if necessary revised before sign-off.
- Ensure that high quality technical assistance in all the sectors is available to operations and field technical co-coordinators/ manager and ensure integration of policy and advocacy initiatives in all aspects of programming including partner and staff capacity building.
- Ensure the development and application of a practical field based M&E system/plans for all projects in the three sectors and the provision of the necessary qualified support by technical managers to field operations managers in implementing the system and in documenting the measurement of achievement and progress toward programme goals and results through the M & E system.
- Ensure, with the support of the Area Representatives, that CFK principles such as Community Partnership and Participation-community-based approaches, Teamwork, integrity, excellence, dignity and innovation. Are mainstreamed in programme development and implementation in reference to Health, social and economic sectors.
- Provide sound leadership and high level technical guidance to technical managers, regional managers and Head of departments in all aspects of project cycle management.
3. Representation and Networking
- With particular focus on Health (sexual reproductive health and nutrition), Social (prevention of violence, poverty alleviation/livelihood) and economic (entrepreneurship and job creation); network and develop relationships with key technical staff within donors, NGOs, to gain an understanding of their priorities, to secure funding and to represent CFK in advocacy and influencing. In this to work closely with the other units.
- Ensure the country programme’s active participation in technical coordination/ cluster meetings pertaining to Social, economic and health. This includes presentation and sharing of good practices and other relevant information to key managers with operations and humanitarian department.
- Maintain strategic links with recognized administrations in Kibera and beyond their key ministries at national and regional levels, identify opportunities and ensure CFK participation in key activities of the national, state and local level.
4. Strengthening the strategic direction for the organisation by supporting the Human Resource functions
- Conduct routine needs assessments to inform the key program inputs that will drive performance and actively participate in filling gaps in service delivery including trainings and recruitments (Coordinate the HOD, social services).
- Use of structures and decision-making processes to enable learning through empowerment.
- Clear performance management plans through line management.
- Identification and delivery of appropriate training/personal development support.
5. Monitoring and reporting on program progress against set Key Performance Indicator (KPIs) the activities include:
- Compile reports and make presentations on program progress across CFK service delivery channels on a monthly basis to the management team including relevant external reports
- Develop clear modalities on safeguarding including observance of CFK rights based approach to social, economic and health service delivery.
- Contribute in developing better tools and systems to monitor reproductive health/health-initiative, educational programmes, sports activities, entrepreneurship, women emancipation-daughter united and prevention of violence uptake across CFK service channels.
- Lead in the development of various operational research that aim at gaining better insights on clients’ needs including adapting such results in to the program design and/or mid-course corrections.
- Lead in dissemination of positive solutions focussed routine program monitoring and results on various operational research across CFK service delivery channels and regions both internally and externally.
- Closely monitor and ensure prudent use of any program resources on a timely basis
- Be the focal point for relevant communication to the donor
6. Lead in resource mobilization and fundraising
- Identifying and successfully capitalising on funding opportunities with major funders of local and international on the three tier channels (Social, health and economic) programming.
- Research and analyse donor calls for funding applications including tenders, expressions of interest and requests for proposals. This includes identifying funding opportunities for CFK – either as a prime or subcontractor.
- Coordinate development and writing of successful, high quality funding proposals and budgets as agreed by the Country Management Team (CMT) and Executive Director.
- Develop partnerships with external institutions working on three tier channels (Social, health and economic) to meet and share best practices.
7. Donor Compliance
- Guide in Monitoring project performance to ensure projects are on track against KPIs. This includes monitoring project deliverables, budgets, spend against budget, and appropriate coding and cost recovery against each grant and raising any areas of concern to the Executive Director.
- Maintain a close coordinated role with finance and keep overall responsibility for spend against donor grants.
- Lead quarterly forecasting meetings for all donor projects with appropriate staff involved.
- Manage project start up meetings and briefing.
- Participate in donor meetings as required.
- Be familiar with relevant donor regulations and rules, as well as CFK policies and procedures, and ensure project implementation is compliant with these regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Ensure quality of donor reports and timeliness of submissions.
- Prepare for donor visits, creating agendas, briefing teams and creating briefing packs for visitors.
- Master’s degree in Social Sciences, or development studies or equivalent
- Postgraduate diploma in project Management desirable.
- 6 + years out of which 3 – 4 years should be with formulating and directing policy and leading advocacy initiatives at the macro-level.
- Experience of developing and managing programmes/projects in at least two sectors (Social, health and economic).
- Experience of developing and managing monitoring and learning systems.
- Genuine commitment to, and understanding of, rights-based approaches
- Excellent conceptual and analytical skills. Effective negotiator
- High level of integrity.
- Resource mobilization, training and capacity building, coaching / mentoring skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills and drafting competencies.
- Strategic Vision and Agility-ability to think strategically.
- Capacity Building—ability to effectively build organization and staff capacity.
- Action Oriented—enjoys working hard and looks for challenges; able to act and react as necessary, even if limited information is available; not afraid to take charge of a situation; can overcome resistance to leadership
- Proven ability to work with efficiency, flexibility, and good humor
- Proficiency in MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint
How to Apply
Applications quoting the position title with detailed CV, with contact details of 3 referees (1 of which should be immediate, 1 former supervisor and any other) should be submitted to: email@example.com on or before 20th May 2016
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
NB: Please clearly indicate on the subject line as ‘Director of Programmes and Fundraising’
Carolina for Kibera is an equal opportunity employer