Data Management Consultant
MLIS – Kisumu, Kenya
Duration: 3.5 months (May 19th, 2016 – Mid September 2016)
Reporting to: Senior Associate – Program Data Management
Start Date: ASAP
The Data Management Consultant will work on the following tasks for one of our Programs:
2. Clean data received from the field, and keep track of any recurring data quality issues arising from the exercise
On the first and second day of a new data collection activity, the Data Management Consultant manually conducts a variable-by-variable review of the dataset to check that data collection instruments are being filled according to the expectations.
The variable-by-variable review is done on the data when the team starts using a new/revised electronic data collection instrument.
Variable-by-variable review serves 2 key purposes
- Checks that skip patterns are working well, i.e. no field is skipped where it shouldn’t or field is filled where it shouldn’t.
- Checks that all hard-checks are working well, i.e. that no field accepts numeric entries that either above or below the expected limits
- Checks that fields only take the expected data typese. flags field designated for numeric entries but that contain string entries etc.
- Checks that there are no duplicates in the unique IDs
Provide high quality ongoing Program data management services, including ensuring that monthly data is released to the Program by the 10th day of every month
Cleaning of both current and historical Program monitoring data for monthly analysis and upload to MIS
Create/use do-files that do checks on selected variables and archives previously clean data to reduce data cleaning time
Manage periodic downloads of data from the ODK database for routine data cleaning and other usages
Create/use do-files that only selects new data from the MIS appended one for cleaning and later appends to previously cleaned data
- Understand the Program and datasets and do-files used for data processing
- Download Monitoring data (Community, Promoter, etc) and Clean within three days
- Download Operations Data (Installation, CEM, Verification, Chlorine Delivery) Including Spot check Data and Clean within 6 days
- Update Dispenser Database within 2 days
- Follow up with field team on missing information on CEM, Chlorine and installation data as well as completeness of historical for these activities
- Ensure Check completeness and Accuracy of Carbon waiver forms with reference to dispenser database
- Follow-up on Missing data with the field team and any other discrepancies observed
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in economics, mathematics, statistics, computer science or another quantitative field
- Minimum of two years of experience in quantitative/qualitative research methods and data management, preferably with large and/or complex datasets
- Strong technical expertise with statistical software packages such as Stata and Excel or similar languages such as Stata, R, SAS, Excel etc. with the ability to learn and adapt to new programs (experience with Stata preferred)
- Strong Data management and analysis skills
- Extensive experience with data entry interfaces such as CSPro, EpiData and Access.
- Outstanding experience with mobile phone survey programming in Open Data Kit, and other survey programming languages such as Blaise.
- Working familiarity with bulky text services such as FrontlineSMS, EchoMobile etc
- A working knowledge or familiarity of geospatial analysis in ArcGIS/QGIS and mobile phone survey
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills to work effectively with a team that is geographically dispersed
- Self-directed/self-motivating personality, with proven ability to manage demands from multiple supervisors while adhering to program deadlines and priorities
- Strong critical and analytical thinking skills
- Intellectual flexibility and willingness to form and adjust opinions based on evidence
- Quick to learn, motivated to self-teach and capable of independently translating new knowledge into practice
In addition, this position requires a candidate to:
- Have a strong commitment to evidence-based practice and policy in the development field
- Be enthusiastic to develop personally and professionally as part of a growing global team
- Highly organized and possess a strong attention to detail and a genuine love for working with data.
CLICK HERE to apply online