The European Commission’s Directorate General for Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection (ECHO) seeks to recruit a Programme Officer to join its Regional Office in Nairobi
The European Commission’s Directorate General for Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection is the department responsible for financing humanitarian and civil protection assistance.
ECHO finances a range of partners, which include NGOs, UN agencies and the Red Cross Movement, to provide assistance to people affected by both natural and man-made disasters.
1. Duties & Responsibilities
The Programme Officer (PO) will assist ECHO’s Technical Assistants in-charge of programmes in Southern Africa & Indian Ocean Region to provide quality technical advice and support to ECHO’s funded projects in the Region.
The PO will be required to participate in the contextual analysis to determine the strategy for humanitarian interventions in Southern Africa & Indian Ocean region; examining partner’s grant proposals and reports; and closely monitoring the implementation of ECHO funded actions.
He/She shall be required to take a pro-active role in relevant coordination meetings with implementing partners and other international and local organisations ensuring ECHO is appropriately represented.
The PO will also be required to travel extensively in the region.
2. Required Qualifications
- A relevant university degree ;
- A minimum of five years’ work experience in managing programme operations, including at least 2 years of experience with an NGO’s, donor or national/international organization;
- Good knowledge of international NGOs and UN aid agencies working in the region;
- Work experience outside Kenya and in the Southern Africa & Indian Ocean region in an international setting is an advantage;
- Good understanding of humanitarian issues in the region and/or experience with Food security and Disaster Risk Reduction operations will be considered as an added benefit ;
- Thorough knowledge of the Logical Framework Approach and Project Cycle Management are essential.
3. Required Skills.
- Fluent written and spoken – English is required. Knowledge of French and or Portuguese is an added advantage;
- Personal initiative, ability to work both independently and in a team, with ability to set priorities, and to work to tight deadlines;
- Commitment, determination, reliability and a high degree of personal integrity & discretion;
- Ability to analyse and process information, ability to clearly and concisely convey information to others;
- Excellent drafting skills.
The position is open to nationals and other residents of Kenya with a valid working permit.
The contract is initially for one year with the possibility of renewal subject to a 6 months’ probationary period.
Application plus detailed CV (including references) of the interested candidate should be sent to the Human Resources by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject clearly marked: “REF: PO – Southern Africa & Indian Ocean’’ latest by noon 10th June 2016.
Candidates who have not been contacted by 31st July 2016 should consider that they have not been selected.
Applications which do not meet minimum requirements will be automatically rejected